CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Any of you DS riders go south of the border?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of you DS riders go south of the border?

Well Im going down to Rocky point sometime in March, Im going to have to research and see when all the college kids will be down there and plan AROUND them. I was just curious if anyone else goes down there, the riding is awesome! Only down side is you really have to mined your manners in town but, I dont go into town anyhow, I stay on the beach and just camp there really cheap like 5 bucks a day. There is also a Comp hill where quads and dirt bikes drag, its the weirdest thing on one side it looks like your everyday rocky a$$ mountain but the other side is totally sand, pretty cool.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

BUMP...................... I've always wanted to do that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. And a correction it will be the first week of April.

Old 03-03-2005, 04:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

So, last time someone brought up this kind of riding trip the concensus was that Mexico just isn't safe for ATVs. So people talking about brining heat, but then the idea of a gun battle came up, and then the federalies which would probably just mow everyone down with an M16 or something to end it 'quickly.' How often have you been down there? It sounds like great fun but a bit of a risk from what I hear.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

Blackhawk, I almost fell of my chair when I read your reply...lmao. Its Mexico, not cuba. We vacation in Mexico 2 times a year and have never had a problem. Some guys from work went down their last winter.You can contact the business and visitors authority. Tell them you are down their on a business trip. They give you windshield stickers which are like gov. immunity stickers. My friends did this and they said it really helped. Sounds korny, but whatever helps.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

I have had no problems at all, in town or at the beach. Heck you can even ride your quad in town on the streets, but I like to just stay away from town and enjoy the beach[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]. I have only seen one instance of bad cops but then again the guy has peeing in the middle of the street. I have been going down there for 5-6 years something like that. Almost forgot one time we had our ice chest stolen that had all our meat in it, have you seen there grocery stores the meat is out in the open air and warm no wonder they stole ours. One time we had this old man walk up to our camp and ask if he could sing us a song(while playing a guitar) for some food. These people love to see Americans we are there bread and butter. If you go into town there are American only clubs and bars but like I said I stay on the beach not because Im afraid of town but I prefer to drink my American beer and whiskey and enjoy the water.

As far as the weather goes if you go in the months of March, April, May(May is kind of warm)the weather is great anything before that time is chilly and bad weather after that time to dang hot for this white boy.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Black hawk is not so far off thousands of americans do vacation there every year so they consider it nothing to pick a few off here and there.

The nightmares from mexico know no boundrys like the guy that the mayor from matmoros let lay and die in a makeshift hospitol bed while his family raced diown there to bring him the "cash" only because the guy hit his car causing ten thosand dollars worth of damage.Imagine if someone in your family layed hemoriging for 8.5 hours with no medical atten.when a helicopter sat in a border town running the whole time waiting to rescue him but never got the chance.

Or the owner of mobile mini storage who was kidknapped and held ransom by cops then when the money was paid the family recieved a dead body.

Or the family from calif who got pulled over and there 40 bus and toy's taken from them and his wife and daughter raped.

Mexico is a gamble at any point.But most do come out fine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

I've been going to Rocky Point for years, and have had only 1 altercation. It was initiated by one of our group...he was drunk, and has the dreaded little mans complex...needless to say the rest of us ended up getting pulled into it. Other than that, we ride all over..even thru town like was mentioned. You just can't ride with paddles in town. One of my friends has a house in Cholla Bay, and they've been going for over 25 years. He runs his Sand car down there, etc. As long as you realize that you are in direct control of your well being, and use common sense, you'll be just fine. I've never had any bikes, or equipment stolen, but we don't just leave stuff lying around either.
I will admit though, since Rocky Point has become a major tourist attraction, it's not nearly as liberal, and fun as it used to be.
Justin

Old 03-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

[i]Originally posted by: Freakneh[/i
I will admit though, since Rocky Point has become a major tourist attraction, it's not nearly as liberal, and fun as it used to be.
Justin
Your right there, pretty soon the condo's and the hotel/resorts will have takin over the entire beach area and there will be no more camping/riding. I remember when you used to be able to ride all the way to town on the beach, know that these resorts and crap have moved in most of the beach is blocked off.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img].

Old 03-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Or the family that drove through East LA and got shot for making the wrong turn down the wrong street....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

You can find horror stories about any country and Mexico is no different then any other country you may have the opportunity to visit. Obey the laws and stay away from places known for trouble and you'll be fine. Don't travel at night and never alone.

And it helps if you speak the language...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Well alls im saying and this thread is starting to be more realistic is mexico is not a safe place and if you let yor guard down you will get spanked !!!!!! And i travel much deeper into mexico than most would care to go but i know the risk....And i don't ever make it sound as thougfh it is a safe place to go.It is a fun place but safe no!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Any of you DS riders go south of the border?