CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

gasket cinch or pilobond?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gasket cinch or pilobond?

Entomer
You can get the pliobond at RWR for $10 a bottle or at your local Ace Hardware for $3 a bottle. The stuff is actually a contact cement, but sure worked for me.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

denny, lol yah I guess mike passed the curse down from his zilla to me...he doesnt even own it anymore and that quad still haunts me...lol

Old 02-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Cardiac where did you apply that stuff? I was talking to a mechanic bud of mine and he keeps telling that's fine for a rocker cover, but not for cylinder gasket. Contact cement... that stuff sounds scary to use. I would have thought it was like a gasket like material. If it would stop the leak or gurgling I'm having with my DS I'd get it.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Are you sure that you aren't leaking the coolant from out of the water pump's weap hole? I just had to pull mine apart because it was. That's the tell tale sign of bad seals. The seals you can order from either the dealer or cheaper through and automotive supply store. The gasket for the cover is 10 bucks and if you have to get into it, you might as well replace the impellar as a precaution for another ten bucks.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

It's leaking from the the seam where the cylinder meets the head. Near the cam chain tensioner. A few others had issues in that area as well. If I leave the DS sitting too long coolant drips from the overflow tank. Sounds like gasket failure, no?

Old 02-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

Entomer
Sorry to say it, but you are right. You have the classic symptoms of head gasket failure on a Rotax. I don't know if you are using an 'o' ring on the cylinder or not. If not, you may want to get one cut. Next step is to be sure your cylinder head is perfectly flat. Not .001 warped but perfectly flat with a smooth surface(no milling marks). I think you will find the low spot is on the chain tensioner side, towards the front of the cylinder. Then you may want to consider getting a Cometic triple layer metal gasket. You can get them on the Web, search Cometic. As a note, the Cometic will work with a copper 'o' ring but it is not recommended with a stainless steel 'o' ring. The pilobond works for some of us on the forum. I was concerned when I first heard about it, but I had already tried all the conventional stuff with limited success. You will have to make your own decision. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
p.s. Is your TVI 720 an early kit. I have been told that this is a 'head' problem and to replace the head to fix it. I believe that it may be a sleeve migration problem that presents as a head failure. Just a little survey of TVI owners.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

i finally got mine tore down. when i pulled the head the copper gasket was hanging on one side. i dont know if the coolant leaking by it broke down the sealant or if i might of gotten it to hot one time or another and compromised the sealant...needless to say it still leaked...my head didnt have any marks on the sealant surface and doesnt have the low spot next to the chain tentioner, so hopefully i can spread some gook on it and slap it together and it will be fine....mine didnt leak that bad, only at high rpms under a load, so im crossing my fingers and hoping this will fix it...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2005, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

thebigshow Keep us posted.