CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

how can i tell if my engine is damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can i tell if my engine is damaged?

i have been caught up in moving, buying new vehicles, and all that, but i let my buddy ride my quad at his house for a few weeks and i got it back and i think the engine is damaged..most of you know about my starting problems but i have drained the gas and added new, changed the oil and spark plugs and i havent tried to pullstart it again, but it still wont electric start. is there any way i can tell if my engine is blwn or damaged? thanx

Old 02-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

umm first it sounds like the battery's dead, check it and get a new one if needed, and second describe more why you think the motors damaged? just my 2 cents... josh.

Old 02-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Like Josh says ya need to have a charged battery.
Check all of these and correct what is necessary:
Compression, right amount of Fuel and Air, Spark all at the right time.

Also like Josh says Why do you think yoo have engine damage? Ya hearing noises or what?

Old 02-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Range Rover

im sorry i wasnt more in detail, bu no, its not the battery, i have tried charging it all night and it still wont start in the morning, i even tried to jump it off and still no luck, it has juice, the starter is tryin and tryin but its not turning the motor over. also, it smoked a little when i did get it running, im not sure if it is just burning off something from the motor, or if it was damaged at all. while its running, the throttle responce is really sluggish from idle, and its still sluggish all the way through the powerband. the mechanic also told me the carb was dirty and needed to be checked out, but i have a tm45 anyway, so i was thinking i could just have it installed. so im thinking the best bet would be to take it to my dealer and let them instal my new carb, and do a compression check? i dont know, im confused....i just want my quad to run like it did....

Old 02-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

what color is the smoke? are u getting excess oil coming out of your crankcase vent?

Old 02-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Before you try to start it the next time. Pull the spark plugs and let the starter turn the motor over. This will help get fuel from the cylinder if the carb is letting fuel seep in, also it will tell you if it has seized.When you turn it over it should just spin the motor pretty fast.
If this works clean the plugs or install more and give it another try.
Later
Justin

Old 02-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Check your oil. If there is metal in the oil or water in your oil, you're screwed. Also, check your oil filter. A lot of metal in the filter and you are shredding your piston.

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Range Rover

ok, well i went outside and tried starting it, started right up, no pull needed. the throttle responce is horrible compared to what it was, and i think my carb is extremely dirty, and i think someone messed with it trying to fix it without me knowing. but it is a plus that it started on its own, the smoke is about like the smoke that you see after a quad has been flipped and the oil and gas mixed...i'll check the other stuff in a bit..but i did notice that there is oil in my air box. not a lot, just a little on the bottom of it..and the smoke isnt coming from my pipe hardly at all, its mainly coming from the black tubes coming from my air box.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Smoke has color and it does make a difference.

You probably ride in the dirt or dust a lot and your carb is probably real dirty.

These engines are tough to damage. . . especially an '03???

Would be one thing if you got the quad back and your paper air filter was distorted and wet from water. . . then we would know your buddy rode it into a pond and could have caused damage but, can't blame him for anything on the carb. Whatever you are seeing different could just be a result of a little more dirt in the carb.

Old 02-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Range Rover

yeah i do ride in dirt and dust a lot, but what about the oil in my airbox? oh, and i dont know where to check the oil filter at, and i checked my oil, which i just put in there like a week ago, and it looks thin, and maybe it isnt a dark as it should be. does that sound like anything? and i have oil all below my carb, it looks really nasty, like oil and what not has just dripped everywhere. and since i think my carb has been tampered with, does it sound like its running rich, or lean? the sluggish throttle responce really has me worried....i talked to a mechanic and he said he thinks it was locked up, like a temporary lock up or something. and the smoke comes mainly from my airbox and the black tubes coming from my airbox...thanx

Quick Reply: how can i tell if my engine is damaged?