CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS HID headlight conversion..

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS HID headlight conversion..

On Monday I received the HID conversion bulb from the HID store. I installed it tonight and WOW.. I'm not disappointed at all! It puts out a very bright white to blue light similar to the new Porsche's and beemers. The one light puts out more light than my 04 f-150 with factory road lights. I have a pic of what I received from The HID store. I'll see if I can post later. It includes a ballast, igniter, bulb and a lot of patch cords to tie it all together. There's a lot of stuff to mount under the front fascia but there appears to be room. I haven't mounted it yet, just installed it in the housing and plugged it in. One thing I didn't like was that I had to trim the plastic ring that holds the bulb in the housing because the HID bulb is a little different than the factory one but fits after I trimmed the little tabs off the ring. If you ride at night this is the ultimate! It's not cheap at about $210 (shipped) but you can't get an HID anything any cheaper.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, one more thing. I ordered the bulb over 2 weeks ago off their website. After a week of waiting and not having them take the cash out of my account I called and to make sure they got my order and that everything was cool. The guy that answered the phone said he shipped it the day before and that the delay was due to the DOT making a ruling on HID lights and selling them for off road use only. I guess some idiots are putting these things in cars not designed for HID bulbs which makes it very dangerous for other motorists

Old 02-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Pic is pending..

Old 02-16-2005, 04:13 AM
Pro Rider

I put 2 HID bulbs in my stock headlight and 2 HID bulbs in my Baja lights. I could fit all 4 ballast boxes behind the headlight on top of the oil tank.

Rob at the HID store was real helpful.

The lights were well worth the money, if your in to night riding! Now I'm working with KMS to get a much larger stator output, so I can run a third set of HID lights mounted on the handlebars.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I like to ride a lot at night!!!

Old 02-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

It's probably time for you to pop for the BMW stator, it's rated at 400 watts.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

Is it a direct bolt on procedure??? remove your old headlight assembly, remove the bulb from the back, and plug the new one in? what year is your DS? I have a 2000... will it work on mine?

tia

Old 02-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

yes, it will work on your 2000 if you haven't changed to the newer headlight..

Old 02-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info dudes. It might be one of my next purchases. Allthough I have alot of stuff under my facia. My temp wire is all wound ou in there. Cant wait to see the pictures.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

I am not sure that the 400 watt BMW stator will "pop" right in without also making other modifications. I have not heard of anyone just "popping" that stator in.

I don't mind assisting KMS, and his stator guy, with the R & D. They both will not stop until they get it right! Kelly took a clay casting of the stator assembly and sent it to the stator guy, who has founjd a consultant on induction, who is helping get the proper wire size and windings. We are hoping to get over 350 watts!

They have gotten over 140 watts from a YFZ 450 stator, which tested stock at 70 watts. My stock DS stator tested at 240 watts and the one I got in it right now is at 280 watt. From what Kelly has learned from ALL the manufacturer's stators is that they ALWAYS test at a lower level than what is claimed. (Bombardier 'claims' a stock stator of 290 watts)

Old 04-22-2005, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider

I wish Pro Light was up and running again!!! what ever happen to Mike??

Quick Reply: DS HID headlight conversion..