CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Procom CDI any good? Opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procom CDI any good? Opinions??

Give me your opinion on the Procom CDI.
Anyone know the rev limit on this?
Anyone using one? Your opinion?
Will it fit an 02 baja?

As always, thanks fro the great advice!

Old 02-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't have one, but I do recall readings quite a few posts talking about the procoms frying. Fried procoms seem to be kinda common, I've seen several DS forum posts on it, but also in other forums as well. And friend of mine had one on his Predator, and it fried during his first lap of the GNCC Ironman race last fall, which was a real disapointment to say the least.

I've also heard that other brand cdi's are made by procom. don't know if this is correct, but I don't recall any of the other brands having a history of frying either. If Procom does make cdi's for other companies, perhaps the design and specs are different, and they are just the manufacurer.
But like I said, don't know the facts, maybe somebody else can shed a bit more light?

Old 02-21-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

i dont know much about them either but i know i need one! anyone got one that is collecting dust. i sure could use the extra rpm's.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife purchased the Procom as a Christmas gift for me. Well, in coordination with a close friend I'll add. She wouldn't have a clue about that type of product without the help of a ridding buddy. I've rode only 2 - 3 hours since I installed it. The extra RPM range is there. I can't tell you about the reliability, but couldn't justify $400 for the Vortex vs. $130 for the Procom. Esp. with the new GBBII 415cc driver and 3 forged wedges I'm replacing in my bag this spring. If it fries, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience, drop the big bucks when I have the extra duckie.

I believe the rev limit is 8350 (450 higher then stock).
Yes, it'll fit an 02 Baja.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

I bought one over a year ago on EBAy for $90 bucks and it has been great. Redlines at 8800 RPM! Good value so far and no problems.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I highly recommend. I've had mine for a year. They have great customer service too. They also made those cdi's for other company's that re-badged them and sold them for two to three times as much. Plus its inexpensive.

Old 02-22-2005, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

I have had one on my 02 baja for a couple years now. no problems. I allways carry my stock one when riding though. atleast keep it in the tool box at the truck.

Old 02-22-2005, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

I read about a few of them frying on this and other forumns, but I've had the one on my 04 out a few times with no issues so far.

Like the others mentioned:
I do keep the stock one in the toolbox as a back-up
I've heard they stand behind them if there are issues
Keep an eye on e-bay they pop up once in awhile for $90 "buy it now" option, I got mine there as well.
Seems like a good low cost option to me.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't yet changed from the stock CDI but it seems to me that you could purchase two at that price and if one goes bad swap to the other then just send the bad one back for a replacement and keep doing it if needed and your still at half the cost of the others....

Old 02-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one on my quad. Not sure I like the timing curve. It makes my bike do that backup thing when I start it sometimes the stock one doesn’t do that. looking to get a vortex.

Quick Reply: Procom CDI any good? Opinions??