CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Question about my clutch plates?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about my clutch plates?

i have had the motor pulled out of my bike and sitting in my dining room since november 15th 2004 till now with no oil in it and the question is should i soak my fiber plates in oil before i start it and if so how long? the reason i have not put it in yet is i had back surgery and i bought a hi comp piston ported intake and endcap and now I am finally able to put it back together, thanks again guys

Old 02-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Soak 'em overnight.

Once she is back together pull the plug on the top of the cases that is between the rear motor mount and the clutch actuator and pour about 3/4 of a quart in there. That way you are sure you have lube in the bottom end when you start her up.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

ok thanks duneme, is there anything i need to watch out for when I pull off the clutch side cover other than noting the position of the clutch lever cause i read in a post that it will turn when i take it off and not to force the cover back on because of the water pump gear? thanks man

Old 02-27-2005, 01:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just watch the plates order and how the last one goes in. I don't put the last one in offset but, I know many people do.

I put a glob of grease on the water pump, clutch actuator, any posts sticking out and if a new clutch gasket on it to hold it in place. Careful, it will bind up easy.

Take a real close look at the actuator that goes through the cover. It is typical to have some wear or broken off teeth. If so, replace. Also, the rack-actuation clutch (piece that pulls out on the pressure plate - can loose a tooth. If so, replace.

Lastly, that rack actuation clutch rides on a bearing in the pressure plate. This bearing can pop out, especially on removal of the cover.

To get the bearing back in, freeze it and put the pressure plate in the oven and they should go together with very little effort. I was actually able to pop mine in by putting the bearing in the freezer and leaving the pressure plate in the summer sun.