CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

tm45 on a raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tm45 on a raptor?

Update

Ran the TM45 on the Raptor this week, its very sweet. The throttle response and low end are extremely impressive, all the way thru the midrange you can easily tell the carb hits harder than the stock cv's ever did. This bike had never been dynotuned, so not sure if the cv's were tuned perfect, but we didn't bother fine tuning the TM either as of yet. Fact is, no way you can beat the slam of a flatlside and pumper with a cv carb.
Top end felt unchanged by my seat of the pants redneck dyno in the fields. And also consider, the TM45 was performing more as a 40 or 42mm rather than a 45 due to the intake restrictions of the mismatched port size and super rough casting. There is plenty more to gain.

Only setback is the TM sits so high the gas tank cannot be made to clear. Reshaping the tank would be a serious project, it would need to dish in at least 2 inches. And the bowl is right over the starter motor making jet changes a pain, which is the main purose of the project.

We are making an aluminum neck bored to 45mm to bolt to the intake flange and bring the carb back the necesary amount to clear the underside of the tank, as well as angle down a bit, and position the carb where it is most convenient to access the bowl plug and clear everything. The end result will have the carb sitting the same exact distance from head to slide as my DS.

When its all said and done, and the porting is all complete and the carb tuned, I'll give you guys the full perforance report.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm liking it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Range Rover

a few weeks back ther was a guy selling a set up with a tm 42 and a costum manifold and it was a dead ringer for a ds . it was back further and ever thing like HIGHTOWER was talking about. if youwant to talk to him he had manifold and carb adpters and cables. his weeb site is wideopenproducts@adelphia.net i hope this helps and keep use posted.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Range Rover

here is the right email and phone number jim@wideopenproducts.com and the number is 805-577-8078
they claim a 12% increase in power across the powerband using a 42tm hope this helps

Old 03-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

thanks homdaddy, we'll contact him

here's some pics of the installation set-backs I speak of
TM45 on a raptor pics

Old 03-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

I just checked out the pics HighTower. Will the plastic fit ok on the Raptor with the gas tank raised that much? If so, the DS's have plastic spacers under both rear corners on their gas tanks. A DS spacer could be put in place so that you could bolt down the Raptor tank in the rear...if DS plastic spacer is to long just cut it to fit.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

no the plastic would not fit jacked up that high, we are making an adapter to bolt between the carb and intake to reposition the carb so that all clears well, and also allow much easier bowl access. we have material ordered and awaiting its arrival, should be done in another week or so.
after its complete we'll post more pics of the adapter, and the final fit.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

You can reshape the gas tank with a heat gun. 2" should be do-able. Make sure it's empty first:-)

Old 03-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes good idea, and sixsixT has fitted Lectrons to the raptors by reshaping the tanks, but that doesn't cure the starter being in the way of bowl access for a Mikuni.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

We are pretty sure that we have a better idea than reshaping or spacing the tank........ like Hightower said, we are making an adapter to space the carb back, and anle it down for clearance of the tank, and for better bowl access. Will be connected to the Edelbrock manifold and straight to the carb.

Quick Reply: tm45 on a raptor?