CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Warning, controversial subject.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning, controversial subject.

We recently had a thread about using or not using a helmet so I thought I'd ask this....

I was out at Glamis and I noticed that there were a lot of people riding and then coming back to their camp, pounding down a couple of beers and then heading out again. This led me to the question, honestly how many drink and ride even if it’s in moderation? Are there laws with regard to drinking and offroad use? I know you can boat and drink as long as your not considered drunk…

Old 03-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

In Ill its called an o.u.i. in a boat

Old 03-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I do not ride and drink, or drink and then ride. If I have a beer at camp it is A beer maybe two. I NEVER drink at the dunes to get intoxicated, just to merly quinch my thirst, but 98% of the time I do not even havea beer in the ice-chest. Just water,and Mountain Dew.

Unfortunately their are those that think they cant have a "good time" unless they are have looped, These idiots are always the ones that are being taken out of the dunes on a stretcher. And Rangers always in thier camp.

Bigger.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not a drinker myself, but I don't see anything wrong with riding and coming in and having a beer. As long as you take some time to relax and not over do it. I think if you are feeling any affects from it you should wait until you feel ok to ride again. Basically use you head.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

I would never consider drinking and riding, we have a bad image now with much of the public this will only make it worse. Not too mention the other tragedies that might occur
Tonto

Old 03-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I don't drink but am not anti alchohol. I would'nt recommend drinking and riding, I've seen way too many close calls and times I needed all my reaction time to think I could ride impaired. One beer might be ok but nothing that could effect your reaction time or judgement. I agree that alot of times the people carted out had alcohol involved.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

I do drink and I love to ride, but I don't do them together. While camping/riding I only drink after I am done riding for the night. Too many times I have seen people drink then start doing things they should not be doing either beyond their riding means fueled by liquid courage or things no one should do also because of alcohol. This is a dangerous sport and it get much more dangerous if alcohol is added. just like with cars, adding alcohol does not mean that you will get in an accident but when there is an accident there is usually alcohol involved. it's proven that alcohol slows response time, alters judgement etc so why chance it? Ride, have a good time, but don't invite disaster by doing while drinking. it's just my opinion, but it's based on facts about alcohol and accidents. Take it or leave it.

Cain

Old 03-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was sitting at the sand drags one day. I showed up at 9am for practice, made my 2 runs and parked myself in a chair along the track with a cooler and my truck. We didnt have anything to drink, so my cousin brought back an 18 pack. Long story short I didnt end up racing until about 3:30 in the afternoon, and after the sun got hot around 11 I had begun to drink. It was hot, beer was very cold, it was a good thing. However, I didnt realize how much I was drinking. I was taking my time, but I had about 6 in me by the time they called the class before mine to staging. I managed to get to staging without a problem, but at that time I could tell that I had a small buzz going. Since its not something I think is a good thing to have when riding an atv, I was not all that happy with myself. On the start line I could feel the effects, but I still won my class.

So its easy to lose track, and drink more than you think you have when you are camping out. Just be careful and watch your intake, dont head back out on the bike until you are sure you have a clear head.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

California laws in regards to drinking and driving apply weather on or off the road. Yes this means you can get a DUI while ooff-roading drunk!
NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ALLOWED WHILE RIDING ON BLM LANDS.
No person shall drink an alcoholic beverage, have in their possession or person, any open container that contains an alcoholic beverage while operating in or on a motor vehicle on public lands administered by BLM within California. NO PERSON UNDER THE AGE OF 21 SHALL BE IN POSSESSION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No drinking and driving my quad at all. I have seen way too many where I ride doing so.

Quick Reply: Warning, controversial subject.