CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Crazy Clutch issues... Howd this happen?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Clutch issues... Howd this happen?????

So last week Im ridding and the cluch gets harder and harder to use and theres a bunch of extra play in the cable too. I thought I heated up the clutch real bad by coasting down the mountain roads while i had the clutch pulled in. Theres a place called 4-peaks which is a mountain you can ride up and when your riding down some streches can be a mile or so that you can just pull in the clutch and coast just for fun ... Well I get down towards the bottom of this long run and my clutch wont pull in all the way and Theres a bunch of slack in the cable. I thought I heated up the disks and the warped to the point of swelling up cuz of the long coasting ....
Well I broke into it today and the clutch looks fantastic ...BUT... on the other hand the clutch actuator rod and the shaft that moves the actuator had teeth missing!!!!!!

check out my pics if they are ready yet.

Has anybody seen this before ?????

Old 03-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have read about a few of them doing that. Not because of any particular reason though. I wonder if having to hold the preasure plate away from the plates for a long time and with (Maybe?) the heat build up caused the teeth to get soft and give way????
Very weird indeed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

do you heavy springs in there. like pami. I heard of that being a contributing factor. also, I thought I remember somebody sayed the early shafts where softer material or something like that. there is a pic of one chewed up on the bmw faq. site. they turned the shaft to the good side to get more use out of it. since the shaft only rotates a little bit. I dont think I would want to do that though. I would get a new one.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

heres a pic of the one I was talking about. there is alot of info on this site.

heres the main clutch page

Old 03-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Yea I thought that holding the clutch for an extended period would do it too, or at least provided the last little bit of pressure to cause it to fail. Thats seems to be the most likely explination.
And yes I do have the PAMI springs... theyve been on for a couple of years....

Yea Bus , I already went and ordered the new parts .... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] $115.00 !!!! and I have to wait too...

Old 03-20-2005, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

I lost one tooth on my actuator on my 03 Baja. I use stock clutch pack with Pami springs. The loss of the tooth made my clutch feel soft and mushy.

JMiller

Old 03-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

ya i have had this happen to me too, with rwr springs. Go get the newer parts and you should be ok (make sure to lube the shafts and be careful when putting the case back on) I havnt had a problem since with the new shafts (supposedly are harder than the older ones)