CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Whos Had Back Surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whos Had Back Surgery?

The one I have looks sort of like a cot that stands up right. At the bottom is a place for you to satnd on it and what I guess you would call a clamp that goes around your ankles right above the top of your feet. It works off of balance which can be adjusted to control how inverted you become. Once your hooked in you just lean back against the backrest and start raising your arms and the cot starts to lean backwards. The more you raise your arms the further back you go. It's possible to get the cot to go past striaght up and down which will have you hanging by your ankles, not very good if you have back trouble. I used mine to lean me back at about 75 to 80deg angle with my head pointing down this way my back was still supported. The one thing I didn't like about it was the clamps would irritate my ankles unless I wore my riding boots but they do have pads that I didn't purchase. I'll try and find a web site to link it to.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Hers a site that sells the same table I have. I've seen them cheaper on other sites and on ebay though.

http://www.healthyback.com/store/rel...OVMTC=standard

Old 04-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

hey mywifesquad i do those two streatches and one were i lay on my back with both both feet on the ground but my knees are bent so my feet are about maybe a foot or two from my jackass lol then he has me take my right ankle and put it on top of my left knee and pull on my right knee with my left hand, then my left ankle on my right knee and pull my left knee with my right hand sounds difficult but it has helped me out alot he said that streatches your back muscles and your hamstrings too, my doctor also said that more people have thrown their backs out while coughing or bending over brushing their teeth than lifting heavy objects something about the angle, i didnt think that was true but he is the doctor, oh yeah I can now drive my car for 20 minutes before my legs start to feel tingly and all pins and needles, I was thinking about going to school for cnc machining so I can make all sorts of cool parts for my wheeler

Old 04-06-2005, 03:35 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Never tried that one jackass650. those 2 are the warm up for the 3 that I do now. i will post those stretches when i get home this afternoon.
And yes this trade is sweet for some one like me(or you). i even have a manual mill in my garage. Yes I do feel spoiled.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

I did a buch of stretches but stopped because the pain was getting worse. I finally found out that two of my disk have several rips in them and they leak fluid onto the nerve. When I do stretches it pulls on the rips and makes them leak worse and the fluid irritates the nereve, thats why I stopped useing the inversion table. The Fiber sealant was suppose to repair the rips but it didn't get all of them and the pain is still there. One that the physical therapist had me do was call the cat stretch were your on your hands and knees and you just arch your back up whille tucking your head. Another was where you lay flat on your back with one leg straight out and you put a towel around the other foot kind of like a sturip. You hold the towel and pull the leg up as far as you can without bending your knee. After 20 of these you switch legs. I spent one year going to physical therapy but didn't feel any relief. I've always been flexable since I would stretch for 15 minute before and after I ran and also before and after I would lift wieghts. My flexability is slowly going away and my stregth is nowhere near what it was 5 years ago. When I stopped lifting I could bench 315lbs and about three months ago I tried the bench and struggled to lift 200lbs. I know age is kicking in also but I still should be able to lift more but not working out or running is beating me down.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:07 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry for not posting the rest of the stretches, This spring forward deal is killing me. Real tired. Those 2 I have talked about I dont do any more because my back is now stable. The next ones are what I do now. I will try to post them tonite but may crash at the end of this day. Will definitely post them tomorrow though. One of them is basically a hamstring stretch except you have to push way beyond the hamstring, to stretch the sciatica over the scar tissue on the bad discs. These wont work for every one and some will not be able to stand the pain to get to the point where it is efective. i dont think texaspsycho is one of the ones who couldnt stand the pain, just most likely has more or different damage than i do.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

I visited my doctor yester evening and he showed me the synthetic disc he wants to install in my back, install sounds like working on a car or something! Man I don't know about them cutting me open and putting those things in. So far nothing they have done has helped and now I'm not sure if their not just grabbing ideas out of thin air. We have a family vacatio planned for June to Disney World for 7 days so I guess I'll think about it until after that vacation. After 7 days of all that walking and riding the vacation may make me tell them just do something and do it now.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Texassycho, the replacement disk is good stuff. They have been doing it over in Europe for years. My insurance wont pay for it so its a nogo for me until I can pay out of pocket, but if they will do it for you then jump on it. Thank you guys for all your input, I guess I'll drink another bud, take a pill and go to bed lol! Jed

Old 04-08-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

When my doc was going to take my disc out I asked why they Could just refill it with some good RTV silcon gasket maker. LOL Now they are doing something similar.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Same here with the insurance. Mine won't pay much of it, actually only 40% but thats better than non. It just bothers me that non of the stuff they have done so far has help and I wounder what if the new disc doesn't help. I've done a lot of research on sciatica and found out that if this nerve is irritated anywhere between your back all the way to your foot you can have the same pain. Also found out it is the largest nerve in your body. I haven't had my leg go numb but there have been nights I wished it would. That probably wouldn't be any better but at Times the pain gets so bad I just want some relief. The pain I have always seems to feel like it is in my hip and running through my leg muscles. When I set or lay the muscels in the back of my leg will be fine for a minute or two then a sharpe pain will shoot down them making me jerks really bad. I still do leg stretches but any stretches where my back gets bent much cause me to be in more pain a few minutes after doing them. We need to start Bad Back Pain club, The BBP. Man we could have a few million members!

Quick Reply: Whos Had Back Surgery?