CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

QUESTION FOR THE DRAG RACERS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUESTION FOR THE DRAG RACERS

well i caught the drag bug. it was about three months ago. anyway, i am a rookie at this game so i was wondering. DOES ANYONE POWERSHIFT? what i mean is shift without the clutch. i am still learning how to luanch consistently and what not but i always use my clutch each time i shift. should i or should i not. also if not,how hard is it on the transmission? any drag tips would be helpful.i lost to a stock predator two weeks ago and my bike has mods? wtf?????? i think its user error[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I dont shift without using my clutch thats for sure...! First thing you need to do is figure out how serious your planning on getting with this dragracing that your talking about. You can be mild or wild. If I had to do it again...I would probably cut my stock swingarm by 2" and run a willie bar...launching hard is a very important factor even with a stock bike or mild modified bike. You will find that set-up is very crucial! Rotating mass is also very crucial!

Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

Im also interested, im not looking into gettin serious, just messing around with friends. One of my friends has a stock DVX400 that beats me almost everytime in a field. Then on the road i beat him by about 2 lenghts. All i have is a ported intake and hmf. But i keep thinking surely i should be able to beat him on grass. I have some fairly new Razr's on the rear but it still seams to spin through every gear.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, you should be burning that stock DVX no matter what.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Power shifting to ME means shifting without letting off on the gas. Your clutch action is much, much quicker also. Once you get good at this kind of shifting it will help your times. Downside is that your clutch plates will wear quicker and also fade sooner due to the increased heat generated by slipping the clutch for a very brief second.

When Im up aginst someone I know to be fast but I believe I have a chance aginst. I will power shift. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of my drag racing was in the sand, different surfaces require different launching techniques. 1st thing I would do is get heavy duty clutch springs. Try launching in 2nd gear, use the clutch, don't let off throttle while shifting, keep it wide open, yes you will go through clutch plates more often, but it is worth it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] buhjuh16 try this and let me know if that DVX still beats you, also if you have a fairly stock bike go with a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

alright we'll probably get together next week and ride. Its like my tires keep spinning though. I have stiffer clutch springs that i bought a while back but im just to scared to try to put them in that i might tear somethin up. I've already also dropped it 1t in the front sprocket.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

BOMBSAINT-The predator that you mentioned shouldnt be a problem for you if you are pushing your ds to its limits.I should add that many times a claim of (stock) is far from the truth so be aware of that.BUHJUH 16-Your baja should beat that DVX 400 easily so i would look at your gearing ,tires or your launch technique.I also have a stock baja so i know first hand how a baja does against a dvx400 and i am 230 lbs so assuming that you are lighter you should have an even easier time with a dvx400.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Tires is a very big factor. I personally dont think much of the Razors. They are heavy and do spin alot. Try a set of 4Snows or the stock Ohtsu tires they hook great. If you are spinning too much try sitting back on the seat. @nd gear launch will help and dont over rev that DS. 7 grand on your tach and you should be shifting. Probably a little sooner. Try that and after you leave the line its still very important to stay back over those tires. Let us know what mods you have and maybe we can give you more tips. Good luck and it just takes practice.