CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Keep it or toss it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep it or toss it?

I was wondering......Now be nice I do that once in awhile......I was wondering how many of you completely removed your air box and run only the filter? is there disadvantages or advantages to removing it or keeping it? I run the K&N with a prefilter in the box with the lid on.

Also I don't know if the lid is stock, ( bought my DS used) do all the lids have a series of holes in a pattern of 1" circles? or is that something someone did?

Old 04-29-2005, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

The stock lid is solid, no holes.

I beleive it was dyno proven that the vacumn created with the lid on shows better power over lid off... (been awhile since ive heard about this, so things might have changed) If your lid already has holes in it, you can try pulling it off and jetting accordingly and see what feels best.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

I tossed the lid. The rest of the airbox I took my dremel to and cut away everything but the intake tube support, the bolt holes and the bottom so that the tires don't throw stuff at it. Essentially I have no airbox, but still a little protection for the filter.

I think as far as power goes, I think it depends on you setup. I've read about it on here before, do a little searching and I bet you can find something.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

No box and jet up

Old 04-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

I took the carb apart and it is running a 180 main and a 45 pilot. I didn't think to check the neddle position but it seems to be runing a bit lean? or at least the plug electrode is a light tan, almost white....

Old 04-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

if using stock carb leave lid on, or in your case replace it with a new one that doesn't have all the holes and tune accordingly. this according to HPR's extensive dynoing on the subject.

but if using aftermarket carb, lose the lid and tune accordingly. losing the entire airbox yileds te best power, but may not be practical for some riding areas. regardless of airbox setup, retain the boot from carb to airbox as it acts like a velocity stack.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
if using stock carb leave lid on, or in your case replace it with a new one that doesn't have all the holes and tune accordingly. this according to HPR's extensive dynoing on the subject.

but if using aftermarket carb, lose the lid and tune accordingly. losing the entire airbox yields te best power, but may not be practical for some riding areas. regardless of airbox setup, retain the boot from carb to airbox as it acts like a velocity stack.
Chris,

I don't understand..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I was told that the hole pattern in the lid was a good thing and that it was an aftermarket purchase......It was to allow the carb to breath better.....now your telling me to reduce the air flow? help this fool understand because it's giving me a headache....

Old 04-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

When running with the lid on, and the snorkels pointed forward, below the gas tank, exposed to incoming air while riding is supposed to be the best setup, according mrhp. the faster you ride, the higher the velocity of air entering the snorkels.

due to the attributes of the stock carb, some amount of vacuum is required to yield maximum horsepower. leaving the lid on creates that vacuum, and forces the air coming from the snorkels to be sucked into the airbox, then into the carb,

Old 04-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Range Rover

i have no air box and im making over 60 hp.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

lol, ^^ that dosnt have any correlation to anything. If you guys had the same mods, then it would.