CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

LS, OK info needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS, OK info needed

Well Im heading to LS, OK this thurs and will be there until sat or sun. Never been to the dunes at all. Anything I should know while riding there. Places to watch out for or anything like that. I'm going with one other guy, supposed to go with someone who has been there but he got a new job and cant go now, and the other guy I am going with doesnt have any dune experience either. I think the quad is good to go except for a flag and holder, I assume you can buy them nearby somewhere. I know to check everything out before just blindly jumping dunes. What else should I know or need to know about dune riding? Thanks guys, and I cant wait until thurs.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your going to have a GREAT TIME! you can buy what ever you need in camp, cause thier is a really nice ATV shop in the main camp ground. Remember the STEEP side to the dunes is always the NORTH face at LS,OK. this will also come in handy if you loos your bearing, and get turned around, loose your direction. Its not a really big place, so just you can go in any direction you want, and even if your on the far side of the park, you can make it back to camp on reserve, so long as you know which way camp is( if you dont ASK FOR DIRECTIONS)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Its really good advice not to jump anything that you havent already ridden over a couple time,and its even better if you have a "spotter" watching out for people who cannot see you. REMEMBER the Dune buggy's have the right of way.... you WILL loose if you tangle with one of those, and also remember that they sit allot closer to the ground than you standing up on your quad, so thier vision is really limited. Also take about 25' of 3/8 nylon rope and wrap it around your front or rear bumper in case one of you need to get stuck or broke down.

Just take your time and have fun, and if its windy, the Dunes can change in just a couple of hours, so WEAR your helmets,and take lots of pics!!!

Bigger.

P.S> and kiss your mother before you LEAVE HER ON MOTHERS DAY![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Im ordering flowers to take my place at mom's house sun. She is pretty simple and would rather me go and have a good time while I can. Thanks for the rope idea, I almost forgot that. Hopefully I will not need it. With my luck i would need it if I didnt have it. So hopefully I'm taking a full toolbox and anything I can think of for no reason except looks. But I'll have it just in case. My buddy is taking an EX so Im just taking all of my stuff for him[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

You will have a great time!
Check out Little Sahara Power Sports ask for Lance or Don, tell them Carl sent you! They are great guys! There are a lot of parts at the new store, it is called Little Sahara Sanssports. It is on the north end of the campgrounds, this is where the parts are now. The old store, in the State Park basicly has all the clothes, hatd, riding gear, boots, stuff like that. There is a garage here as well. The can mount tires, weld, pretty much anything you need.
As far as the dunes, they are about 1/2 dunes, 1/2 trails. It is good to have a spoter if you can. There are 2 entrances, north - to Cowboy Camp. There is now an open road going into town that is pretty cool, you get to it from Cowboy Camp.
Here is another web site with tons of picture on it, you get a pretty good idea of what it is like by looking at them.

Little Sahara

Have a great time!

Old 05-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Is that trail all sand, or do I want to bring another set of tires with me? Also is there only one campgrounds or multiple and which one is a good one to camp at. I will just have a tent, I heard there is one with showers, but dont know which one it is.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The south camp ( main camp) is the best campground for tents. Both the north and the south camps have showers 75 cents will buy you a hot shower lasting about 5 minutes, you can go up to 15 quarters.

all the trails are SAND no need to extra set of tires.

bigger.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Ok thanks guys.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

biggerisbetter is partialy right.

There are showers at the south campground only, that is correct. The north campground is just as good for tent camping, also the north gate dumps you out right on the big dunes.
The trails out on the dunes ARE all sand. The road going into camp is a combination, black top, dirt , sand and gravel. I put my knobies on when going to town. The road is murder on paddles, it is just too far to drive them on anything but sand.

Here is an aerial photo of the road to town.

Arial trail photo.

There is camping in town as well, here is a photo of that

Town camping

You can go here and see a color aerial photo of the park at this link. Go to Waynoka, the park is just south of there, you can t miss it. On the right side of the map, select the aerial photo from 2003.

Areial photo map of Oklahoma

Hope this helps.