CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

finally got a bad axle bearing after 4-1/2 years!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally got a bad axle bearing after 4-1/2 years!

Well my right side axle bearing is finally biting the dust after 4-1/2 years and many hundreds of hours. I was beginning to wonder if they would ever wear out.

After every ride I jack up the bike on the atv lift and service the chain, and while its up I check for axle play, and insure the axle nut is where it belongs. Once a year every year I tear down the rear end and thoroughly clean and repack the bearings, and replace the seals. I never reached the point of feeling a bad bearing on the bike, but I'm doing my routine annual bearing service last night and the right side bearing is obviously bad, as you can tell its gotten hot, it is sluggish to turn, and the outer race is scarred. Looks like water has gotten in and corroded - probably grit scarring on the seal on that side.

Just goes to show, no matter how well you maintain **** happens, and things wear out given the sloppy conditions I ride regularly. But the cool part about it all is that the routine maintenance has caught the situation well before any carrier or axle damage was able to occur.

Also, I'm replacing my 3rd countershaft seal in 4-1/2 years, anybody else go thru those that fast? I know its the terrain I ride, too much grit eating seals for lunch, not to mention trashing 2 front sprockets a year.
Oh well, bike maintenace is the next best thing to riding I guess, I reckon I love it nearly as much!

Old 05-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

CONGRATS MAN!!! welcome to the club[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

there is just something about wearing out parts on you'r own machine that's just plain fun.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

i wanna b in the club too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

My 00 is on its third countershaft seal.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

I would really love working on mine if I didn't have to do it on the garage floor between the lawn mower and my wife's car.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good job hightower, I just wait till it breaks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

lol, I have probably 150 hours on my 03 baja, and have my own little list of parts ive gone through, but rear bearings or counter-shaft seals.

The only thing I have done to the rear end was tighten that nut, because once it came loose and the axle wobbled a bit. How do you know when the counter-shaft seal needs to be replaced? Seeing as how I ride the same type of areas as you (HT) I am guessing I should probably repack the rear bearings, and throw in a new seal as well.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you will know if the countershaft seal is leaking if the area behind the front sprocket is getting sludged up, and the oil that leaks out gets on the chain, and the chain slings it all over the back of the motor and all over the back of the stator housing.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

I have a small oil leak on my right side, but I think it is the right side cover gasket. I noticed the leak shortly after replacing my starter sprag, and putting it all back together. It dosnt affect the oil level, so I havnt done anything about it for the past 30 or so riding hours... sure is a beehotch to clean up though! If I pull my headers to get them ceramic coated, I will probably put a new gasket on then.

Old 05-11-2005, 02:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was told that it was a automatic chain oiler[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: finally got a bad axle bearing after 4-1/2 years!