CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ATV Magazine on the Outlander 800

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Magazine on the Outlander 800

Old 06-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

ATV Magazine (July 2005) had a small write up on the Outlander 800. The review was glowing and kind. They didn't really describe the power characteristics, however, they did offer hints. Here's what they said:

"After some seat time on the machine, it appears Bombardier accomplished its task. The most surprising feature of the engine is not its overall power-though that is impressive-rather it is the controllable power delivery. Having so much available power at the push of thumb could be a harsh experience. We've ridden big bores where the power delivery on the bottom end tended to jerk the bars from the riders hands. This is not the case with the Outlander 800.

Instead, power delivery on the bottom end is as smooth as a polished BB of gold"

This report is also consistant with a recent post of a 800 ride review in which the author said when the Outlander dragged the BF750 the BF took him off the line then the Outlander reeled him in. The reason I'm writing this is that I've read a lot of hype with the introduction of new quads. I've bought even more big bore quads based on the hype. LOL When the King Quad 700 came out, the reports said the power delivery was smooth and controllable. I soon found out that smooth and controllable translated into SLOW AS HELL! I've driven one and owned one so I can pass judgement on the KQ, it SUCKS.

I like arm jerking power delivery off the bottom end. I think that's one of the hallmarks of a big bore. If I wanted smooth and controllable power delivery I would buy a 500 cc machine. I hope Bombardier didn't follow Suzuki's lead in detuning the bottom end. I'm a more cautious buyer now, so I guess I'll have to wait for reliable, non- hyped reports on the Outlander's power.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

You can always clutch it for arm jerking take off. Personally I'm looking forward to a 4x4 with some longer legs.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:14 AM
Trailblazer

It is smooth power delivery, but it's different from what you are thinking...the brute force only took about a half to full bike length on the very jump. The bomb caught it very quickly. We were dragging these things uphill and bombarider was spinning all 4 tires off the jump. I think on a flat drag the bombardier would jump the BF and just crush it. It's not a "*****" by all means on the bottom end. It's going to be one of those things that you'll have to ride to get my meaning. It's like they hit it just perfect, tons of power on the bottom, but not really jerky. It's different, yet awesome.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

here's a report from another forum,

Dealer ride info. The Polaris will take the Outty on the start only(bike length)
say goodbye quickly after that. The reason they toned it down out of the hole was because they couldn't keep the front end down testers were flipping it. They said for rock crawling it was it was more controllable toned down.

White Brothers are in the process of piping it!!!!!!!!!!!!

After market may soon follow with releasing all the power from the get go with programing options. End Quote.

It looks detunes after all. We will have to see how much.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

If it's detuned I hope there's a viable way to undo it. When I owned my KQ700 there was no available way to do it, at least at that time. Maybe there is now and I'm not aware of it. The KQ's power characteristics BLOW. Some say it's "smooth and controllable" and that Suzuki did that to prevent owners from loosing control, I say it just plain sucks. I REALLY hope BRP didn't do that to the Outlander 800. I don't rock crawl so being detuned is a HUGE turn off for me. Hell, I want it to flip over if I'm not careful, I want it to be scary and obnoxiously hard to handle like an 800cc machine should be. LOL

Old 06-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Isn't a ute for work and hauling things. I would rather have a mild ute. Don't really need to haul a load of hay a 80 mph.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:58 AM
Range Rover

When I spoke to a guy at the dealership that had test driven the new machines, he said that they did great through the woops and were very smooth and powerful. He said that the 2 seater was 6 inches longer and handled better than the non 2 seater. He said that through the woops it stuck to the ground better and didn't loose it's footing like the ds sometimes tends to do.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

In our tests the polaris had nothing on the outlander, even out of the hole. the brute got the jump and then quickly fell back....

The power blockage is in the mass air flow sensor......get that baby bored out or just plain get a bigger one and your set!

An yeah for the 2 seater handling better int he whoops.....it's liek a standard sled versus a long track sled.....long track better in the whoops in my opinion...well thats why i ordered one