CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I bought the BRP 800

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought the BRP 800

Hi Everyone, I'm a new member today and had to join to tell you about the new 800 ride and my purchase. Firstly the ride was at a place called Gopher Dunes near Hamilton Ontario Canada. It's an ATV and dirt bike park with 200 acres. BRP factory reps showed up with the 800 XT EFI and 800 Max XT EFI. WE rode for about an hour and also rode the Kaw 750 BF, the Polaris 800 EFI, the BRP 400 and 400 Max. We were in a course of fairly tight woods with lots of tight turns with many bumps and tree roots etc. To get there we also got to open them up on a nice dry straight away. Let me tell you that I was going to originally buy the Spotsman 800 because I drove it previously and I liked its torque, overall quickness and plush ride and it really doe feel lighter than it is and its pretty stable. However, my first ride was on the BRP 800 Max and I couldn't believe the acceleration and smoothness of the throttle band. The factory rep also told me they detuned it because it was a max for 2 up riding for insurance purposes, you could have fooled me, he said it was only running at about 54 horse power. This thing was fast and toof off like the Brute force only smoother and even quicker. In the woods it had light steering but not so light that the bars would rip out of your hands or anything like that. The suspension surprised me when it rode at least as smooth and I think even a bit smoother than the Sportsman 800. The 800 Max I thought would be a bit clumsy being 8 inches longer but in fact it was to me just as agile as the regular BRP 800. On the bumps it was even more stable and smoother than the regular 800 but only slightly but it went through the woods and tight turns beautifully. Its 12 inches of clearance and really stable ride let me blast through bumps like they weren't even there. Now the regular BRP 800. It was also detuned a little bit , about 12% the factory rep said but you could tell it had a little more zip than the 800 Max but the rep said that the 800 Max coming out to the dealers would be to the point that you couldn't tell the difference from the regular 800. Even detuned the Max 800 was faster than everything else. The regular model did not really seem more agile to me more than just a very little bit. BRP did such a good job on the Max that I actually bought that model so I could take the kids with me. You get a slightly more stable ride, slightly smoother and the power band is unreal. The only area it may fall short of the regular 800 is in whellies off the line from dead stop. By the way, absolutely no throttle lag on either machine, you hit it and your gone. The Kaw BF 750 felt like crap in the woods on bumps compared to the Bombs. It is a nice overall machine but when you ride them back to back there is no contest. THe engine braking on the 2 BRP 800's is really nice and predictable and sure footed, not quite so "on off, on off" like you get with the BF 750.
So, what did I pay. The dealer said the list for the Max was $13,999 Canadian and he had one yellow one on order. I knew he had me by the you know what because he could eventually sell it without making me a deal but he was a nice guy and let it go for $13,500, a $500 break. Its due to come in in early August. The factory reps said that the factory ones I rode were prototypes and that the ones coming from the factory to dealers will be even faster. I can't wait. The dealer also told me that very few will be around for the 2005 year and they would be hard to get before the 2006 season except for the advance orders the dealers already placed. I know I had to pay more to get it now and that its an expensive machine. Hey its going to be my toy so I decided to pay and be happy. I respect all of you for your prevous messages here and look forward to future communications with the group.
Best regards, Bill2000.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

congrats on the quad.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

I hate you!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I am thinking about selling my truck, just to buy one. I promised my girl that I would even ride it to work. I wnat this thing like I wanted my first bb gun. I am hoping to maybe rob a bank or two, just to afford one.

Congrats my friend, and yes I am jealous.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

Congratz and welcome to the forum. At least you made the rite purshase, BOMB!!!

Old 06-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

I got to do the same thing Monday- they had all the competitors models and we had to switch up every 10 minutes. Your write up is dead on. It's the best quad I've ever ridden for trail riding. Someone is going to have to out bid ME when the first one arrives here!

Old 06-30-2005, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

Oh yea i might have mine in july i hope if not august.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

Was the 800 Max able to wheelie or was it detuned too much?

Old 07-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the congrats. It was hard to make up my mind between the regular 800 and the 800 Max model

Old 07-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I never really tried to wheelie because the factory reps rode right along with us and I didn't want to get them angry and have them watch me too closely. I will say this. When you push the throttle in evenly but fairly firm you can start to feel the front end become light from all the torque the thing has, even on the detuned max so if you wanted to pull up there is no question you could get wheelies out of both of them, regular 800 and max with it being a little easier on the regular one. However, what really inspired me besides the power and acceleration was how well the max handled. At first I thought it would be sluggish but its not. It really accelerates hard and it feels so stable going straight, through turns and twisties, through ruts, don't get me wrong the regular 800 was also really stable but the max was even better from a stability standpoint and had enough power that I did not feel like I was losing out. That's why I bought the max, one up riding it is so smooth and fast, it was faster and way smoother than the KAW BF 750. All the other machines we rode were 2005 models and looked almost like brand new, including the Polaris 800 EFI. When you look at the Bombs you can tell the their IRS system looks rugged but with way less parts giving you the feeling their isn't a lot to go wrong, the same feeling you get when you look at a SRA set up, only the Bombs are even smoother than the Polaris 800 which is hard too believe, and before these I had never driven anything as smooth as the Sportsman 800. The power between the Sportsman 800 and the Outlander 800's is the Polaris does take off well, its got good torque and give s you that nice light front end feeling when you hit it, but at about 30 miles an hour you can start to fell the torque tail off somewhat although it will still pull fairly hard. The BRP 800's never ever stop, its scary. I got them on a straight away and hit it and they just pull like mad and don't stop until you literally scare yourself. They are also wvery well balanced because even though you hit the throttle it is controlled speed, the front end doesn't just pop up when you don't want, at least that is how it felt to me even though we didn't try to do wheelies, you just new the wheelie was there if you wanted it. These machines are awesome all the way around. Before this I didn't even think about the BOmbs because I wanted at least a 700 and they didn't make one. All of their kind of unusual stuff works really well like visco lock front diff and trailing link IRS. Any way I don't want to go on forever here, but if you get the chance drive one and you'll want one.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: William2000
Before this I didn't even think about the BOmbs because I wanted at least a 700 and they didn't make one
Same here. I never considered Bombers because they were underpowered compared to the other big bores and seem way behind the curve so to speak. Now it looks like everyone else is going to have to play catch up. It looks like if no one else comes out with anything new before winter then I'll be going with the new 800 sometime in November or December. I hate single brake levers but it looks like I'm going to have to learn to.

Quick Reply: I bought the BRP 800