CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

proper break in meathod?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper break in meathod?...

i know this isnt bombardier related but i figured you guys have enough knowledge on most bikes....

im replacing the piston and rings in my wifes 2004 blaster...whats the corect method of breaking it in...i was told by one guy to put it in and hot rod the crap out of it....that just didnt sound right to me....

Old 07-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

If you ask a 100 people you will get 100 different ways. Heres my two cents. Every time I rebuild a motor I will start it three times and let it idle for about five minutes with an industrial fan in front of it before I take it out and run it . Then I take it out and ride it and shift gears as soon as I start to feel the motor hitting the power band for the first tank of gas also I only ride it for about twenty minutes at a time and then let it cool off before running it again.On the second tank of gas I do the same thing only I get into the power band a little longer before shifting gears but never hold it wide open for more than a second or two until about the third tank of gas. This works for me kind of hard riding it this way for a few tanks but I have never had a problem while breaking any of my motors in and seating the rings to the new cylinder. I have had friends get new pistons and rings and run it like they stoled it and their bikes run like crap and their top ends always look scored when they inspect the cylinders.
Hope this helps Tpsycho.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

Tpsycho is correct. There are several trains of thought on breakin but the most logical to me is to take it easy for the first couple of take fulls. Worst case you wasted some hard riding time. Best case is you saved a costly rebuild. Some will say it is unnecessary but it's better safe then sorry.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yea thats how I break them in. Ride at different speeds also. I wouldnt ride at a constant just make sure you are up and down through the RPMs at least for the first tank

Old 07-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

Mr. Meaner is right, vary your speed often. It is OK to run it hard, but not for a long period. The important part is to keep varying your speed.