CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Poll for Procom Engineering - Procom CDI for DS650

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poll for Procom Engineering - Procom CDI for DS650

For everyone who's purchased a Procom CDI for their DS650, I would like to gather some numbers and present to Jennifer at Procom. Below you'll see our e-mail thread regarding the problem I reported to her. There have been many threads on this forum about problems and I would like to gather information and present it to them. I would like both positive and negative responses. I only have the problem when the machine doesn't initially start and stalls out. This is when I hear the loud metal to metal noise. If the machine starts without stalling, there's no issue to report. We all know the machine will stall every once in a while when trying to start it. Bingo, CLANK. Would be a sprang clutch issue if I didn't pull the CDI and install the OEM hardware.

Please provide the following:

Name:
Year:
Model:
CDI Issue (loud metal to metal sound): <u>YES</u> <u>NO</u>
Comments:

With a good set of information, maybe we can help them correct the issues we've found with their product. Maybe we'll be able to return our defective products for a new piece of programmed hardware.

Regards,
Brian

***************START E-MAIL THREAD***************
-----Original Message-----
From: Jennifer [mailto:sales@procomengineering.com] Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 4:44 PM
To: Chapman, Brian
Subject: Re: Procomm CDI for DS650

Thank you very much. I do agree that a poll would be very helpful in fixing the problem. Please keep me updated and I will do the same.

Jennifer Kobuki
Sales Manager
Procom Engineering, Inc.
(949) 837-8183 (wk)
(949) 837-8433 (fax)
Jennifer@procomengineering.com
www.procomengineering.com
----- Original Message -----
To: "Jennifer" &lt;sales@procomengineering.com&gt;
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 5:59 AM
Subject: RE: Procomm CDI for DS650

Jennifer,

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure the issue is specifically for the
2004 model. I may create a poll on the Bombardier forum and send the results to you. The larger the pool of people who've experienced issues across model years could help your engineers narrow the problem. I look forward to continued communication to help identify and solve this problem.

Regards,
Brian Chapman
EDS - Delphi IT, Steering Division

Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 5:19 PM

Our engineer is looking into this problem cause we are not sure why it would only be happening to the 2004's. Someone is testing the ones that we have in stock now so I should know shortly if these ones are doing the same thing. Thanks!

Jennifer Kobuki
Sales Manager
Procom Engineering, Inc.
(949) 837-8183 (wk)
(949) 837-8433 (fax)
To: &lt;Jennifer@procomengineering.com&gt;
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 12:47 PM

Jennifer,

Please respond when you have the opportunity.

Regards,
Brian Chapman

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 9:17 AM
To: 'Jennifer@procomengineering.com'

Jennifer,

Good morning. Have you had the opportunity to talk to the engineer regarding the reported problems for the Procom CDI engineered/designed for the Bombardier DS650, model year 2004? I could document many people reporting issues on forums.atvconnection.com in the Bombardier forum regarding this CDI hardware application. The problem with the CDI will on occasion cause the "sprang clutch" (or flywheel) to loose a tooth.
We believe this is due to the advanced timing issue when the starter tries to engage as the motor is stalling.

Regardless, I need to know if the software was changed on the Procom unit for the Bombardier DS650 (model year 2004)? If so, I'll return my unit for an exchange. If the software wasn't changed, I have no need to test another unit. I would like to request a refund. I will not use the unit on my ATV, considering the fix for the "sprang clutch" is in the $500 range. This appears to be a very common issue in the Bombardier forum on forums.atvconnection.com.

Please let me know the action I need to take.

Regards,
Brian Chapman

Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:09 PM

Hi there. I do apologize for any problems that you may be experiancing.
What is the year of your bike? Our engineer comes back to town on Wednesday and I will be speaking to him at that time. Thanks!

Jennifer Kobuki
Sales Manager
Procom Engineering, Inc.
(949) 837-8183 (wk)
(949) 837-8433 (fax)
To: &lt;Jennifer@procomengineering.com&gt;
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:02 AM
Subject: Procomm CDI for DS650

Jennifer,

I received your name and e-mail address from a fellow internet forum member.
A number of ATV Connection forum members have reported problems with the Procomm CDI, me being one of them. My wife purchased the Procomm CDI for Christmas in December 2004. She purchased the unit directly from your company over the phone. I should have the credit card transaction available from our credit card company. Since I've installed the CDI unit in late December, 2004, I noticed issues (a very loud metal to metal clanking sound) when the machine doesn't start. Or, if the DS650 Rotax motor starts then stalls immediately. Many forum members believe this has something to do with the timing advance on the Procomm CDI.
Because of this frequent issue, I was forced to replace the Procomm CDI with the OEM (original) CDI. I was informed recently that Procomm made engineering improvements to the CDI for the Bombardier DS650. If so, I would like to replace mine with a unit with recent engineering changes.

When my machine started without incident, the rev limiter worked great.
It's just the issue I mentioned where the machine stalls for one reason or another and the starter engages with the flywheel, making the loud clanking sound. I would love to recommend your product to fellow DS650 owners, but have a difficult time doing that until this problem is resolved. Most owners opt for the Vortex CDI because of this issue. I would be pleasantly surprised to receive a new unit and state that the issues regarding the starter engaging while the motor is still in motion is history. I'd be the first to stand up and recommend your product to the many DS650 internet forum members.

Please let me know if I can return my current product for a newer product.
I'd prefer to only return if updates were made to the CDI hardware/software.

Regards,
Brian Chapman

****************END E-MAIL THREAD***************

Old 07-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Hellohello.......(insert echo sound here)

Guess nobody wanted to participate.....

Old 07-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Guys, where's everyone who's written a thread about their Procom CDI? I suggested to Jennifer @ Procom we put a poll together on this site to gather information regarding CDI issues DS650 owners have experienced. Yes, I can search the threads and use screen names, but that's no good. Lets put our money where our mouth (keyboard in this case) is. If I receive no responses, we'll close this issue and hopefully it's not brought up again. We have a chance to make a difference people.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, I just saw the thread you have a PM with my info.
Thanks,
Nate

Old 07-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Oz did you want this info sent to you or her?

Old 07-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

PM me and I'll compile the information and share it with her. Thanks.

-Brian

Old 07-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider

I sent you a PM with my info.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Hi Oz,
I have also purchased one of the ProComm CID units. I have had good and bad experiences with them my self.
The first one I purchased worked great functionality worked perfectly but had some odd ball beeping or so I thought and got it replaced ... free of charge (except shipping) no big deal. Dumb me I should have lived with the beeping.
The new replacement worked for about 30 minutes during which time it would cause the occasional popping out the exhaust and occasionally completely cut out and die from time to time (mind you this was all during the first 30 minutes) taking off on a ride with my group of friends about 5 miles from camp just cursing along taking it easy it cut out all together and became totally un-trust worthy. Houston we have a problem. The bike hesitantly started back up so I attempted to call it quits head back to camp alone where it completely failed and I was unable to start up my bike and I was left stranded.
Well after getting towed back to camp and it turns out my stock unit was at home there goes my weekend !
I contacted ProComm and they again swapped out it free of charge again and have not had any problems since.
Let me know if you need any more info.

-------------------------
04 Bombardier DS650 Baja X
--TM45 Carb w/ Ported Intake
--Ron Woods Exhaust
--ProComm CDI (Working Great)
--SixPack Rack
--60% Clutch Springs
--22" HoleShots for Dirt
--22" Extreme Haulers for Dunes

Old 07-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Oz , I called and talked to her on the phone . She has my info .

Old 07-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys for the PM messages and responses. I'll compile them next week and send it off to Jennifer. I'll keep everyone posted when I receive a response.

Quick Reply: Poll for Procom Engineering - Procom CDI for DS650