CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ron Woods pipe Vs Stock with End Cap

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ron Woods pipe Vs Stock with End Cap

Well for those that are interseted. I ran the Ron Woods pipe with my setup up Choke Cherry two weeks ago, gps said I did 51.4 mph. I sold the pipe, put on a stock pipe with end cap and ran the hill this weekend, and only pulled 46 mph. Not only did I gear lower to pull higher rpms, I still lost almost 500 rpm on top of that! The bike is crazy fun again having the bottom end back, but when it comes to top end power I guess that thing really can flow. I hope somebody will come out with a quieter top end pipe soon! Anybody know the noise levels of the drag pipes. The Ron Woods was loud, but the tingy sound was unbearable for me.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a good test report.
What does the MrHP encap put out in db's?

Old 07-26-2005, 08:22 AM
sam
Pro Rider

the RWR pipe has a 4" suppertrap end cap available. some one can quiet it down when needed then open it up later. I don't know how much power it robs but its a option.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: mudnuri
That was a good test report.
What does the MrHP encap put out in db's?
The end caps are loud. Mine was tested at 105dB.
One of the quiter top end pipes would be the CT exhaust. I have a CT on one of my DS's and it is quiter than the end cap and pulls much harder up top. The piston and cams probably have a little to do with that as well.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks 650VIPER for that info as I just bought the RW Pipe.
I have not run it yet out in the open yet as the bike still needs to be tuned properly with my TM45 but that's the kind of info I was looking for. My Friend put like 4G's into his 686 Raptor and I am just trying to keep my lead.
I personally liked the look of the RW pipe better than any of the others and I really value the work Ron Woods has done. There's bragging then there's the DYNO Facts.
He may not be Johnny come lately with all the wiz bang bragging ads in the various ATV mags but mad does it work.
I compaired all the various info I could find abotu exhaust pipes that are availiable for the DS the Big Gun (about the same price) offers what I though was the 2nd best pipe out there on the market today and it was spark arrested and quieter 95db. Lots of other folks seemed pretty happy with there purchase.
I am more of a Glamis Dunes guy in WIDE OPEN SPACES so I wanted the most performance bang I could get with out running a "Drag" pipe and the option is always there to run the SuperTraps conversion if I need to.
Thanks again 650VIPER for the info.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Jed,

This is just another reason to consider an end cap with a supertrapp spark arrestor because its flexible. Bring that baby up to 18 disks and you've got wide open power for top end. Take it down to 14 discs and you've got awesome low end torque. Now, Im not saying that a supertrapped end cap will produce the same power as the Ron Wood, but certainly it costs less.

Like already mentioned, you can get a supertrapp end cap for the Ron Wood Racing and have your cake and eat it too!

Old 07-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

OregonDunePatrol,

How do you like that Dula LTE exhaust ?
I almost went that way as it looks really cool.
Were the performance gains found with a dual exhaust ?
I ask because it was tough to get solid facts and numbers out of them and
I just could not justify the money for it.
But man that's cool.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

ILivSD,

Its hard for a lot of people to justify those dollars for an exhaust. I know Randy, and I know thats he's pretty honest about his dyno numbers. Part of the price is the fact that there is two of everything and its stainless. Not to mention that they are right up there in terms of performance but also quiet. I've said it a million times already, its the only true quiet performance exhaust. Others perform better - and if noise is not a concern, then the LTE is not the exhaust for them. A lot of people have some concerns over the direct mount filter - There are other folks that have dynoed and only found 1/4 HP loss by going direct mount. Others say its 2hp. Whatever your measurement you use, the facts are that it produces very good gains even with the stock mount filter.

The RWR pipe and drag pipe are probably the best in terms of top end power - but they are loud. I loved mine when I had it.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, do you think the spark arrested end cap will flow better than the open end cap on the top end? Sad as this is to say, I didnt know about the disk packs for the Woods pipe, that might have changed my decision, but with them on does it still perform? I want a top performing pipe, not good but top performing pipe, thats not to loud. I dont think the end cap is loud, so a pipe that sounds like that would be fine. The problem I had with the woods was the tingy sound, killed my ears, too many nail guns and such for too long. But I tell you this, the best looking thing on the kid that bought that pipe, is the pipe! MMMMM nickel plating OOOOOOH!

Old 07-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Jed,

I'll just call you and tell you.

Marky