CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Pipe choice help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipe choice help

Ok I got it narrowed down to three choices for my set up. CT, Ron woods, or LTE. I have too much motor for the open end cap now and need to make a change. Unfortunatley where I ride the most has a db limit of 93. you can get away with up to 98 if your careful. I seen some pretty fast DS's running the LTE's at Sand Mt. and they were really quiet. HPR has recommended the CT. 650Viper and I have talked about the Ron woods pipe a little. I like the Idea of being able to switch to their in frame drag pipe easily. I dont really like the 25lb weight of them. Any of you guys running these? Also Im going have to change out my clutch. I think I will try HPR's version of the barnnet. anyone running this also?

Old 09-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pipe choice help

Scatter,
I'm running the CT exhaust and pretty happy with it. The fit and finish is excellent on the exhaust and I like the fact that it is tunable with the disc end cap. You can quiet it down simply by removing a few discs. THis is more of a mid/top end pipe that really likes to rev out.

The RWR pipe with drag pipe looks like the ticket for all out drag racers but it is VERY loud. You probably heard Jed's bike up at DS Days. Even the full RWR pipe is probably around the same dB as your end cap (105dB). THe only way to quiet it down is to put on the supertrapp endcap and remove discs until your happy with the sound level.

I have seen quite a few LTE's running up at Sand Mtn but never thought they were as quiet as they claim (96dB). They may have some a quiet core insert that gets the dB's down but the ones I have seen running the hill definately were not at or near 96dB. YOu will also have to go with a direct mount air filter with this setup.

I think they are all great pipes and all have their benefits/trade-offs. Hope this helps.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Do you lose alot of power on the ct by removing the disc's. How long have you had it? Im looking for mid to high range pipe for draging and hill shooting. How does it handle just duning around? Any Idea of what the db is with all the plates on it? I wish I would have remembered to bring my db meter to Ds days. I could have tested all the different pipes. well except for maybe jeds, what would be the point[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pipe choice help

I have run it with 12, 14, and 16 discs but never had it tested on a meter. I have an open end cap on my other DS that was tested by a ranger last year at 105dB. With 16 discs the CT is still a bit quieter. I would estimate but don't quote me the following.

16 discs - 103-104dB
14 discs - 100-102dB
12 discs - 98-100dB

I can't say how much you will lose on your 730 by removing discs, or how many will actually produce top HP. 16 discs is too much for my stock bore. 14 discs felt better and gave me back some low end. DSaholic runs 12 discs on his stock bore. Your 730 will probably produce best results running 14-16 discs and you can run 12 to quiet it down.

If you want to send me your dB meter I would be willing to test it out for you and ship it back. Let me know.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Well, personally I prefer the water filtration equipped 6 ft hippy rippers with a carb by the bowl. the ones that take 2 people to operate, because it is never fun to be stoned by yourse.........................OOHHHHHHHHHHHH, THAT kind of pipe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......
Default Pipe choice help

DSengineer...where did you get your pipe and how much did it cost ya, does it have a nice sound....and is it a full system?

Old 09-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

If you are at SandMountain Nevada, there would be no reason to run the LTE with the quiet core [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Problem is Marky, is that you and I both run on the coast. Horsefall is one of my favorites but I will be begging for trouble with a 105db pipe. Im tryin to get some opinons on the quietest pipe that makes the most power mid to top. Some say the lte pipes are not really the db rating they say they are. Im shooting for at least down to 98. Might be able to talk my way out of a ticket at that db but seriously doubt it much higher than that. Im down to the CT or the LTE's. It looks like you have to run the direct filter with it but it looks like from the pics I could keep the set up I have (snorkle and no airbox. What do you think?

Old 09-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

From what I hear, the DB tests that LTE did were at Dune Fest a few years ago and done by USFS personel. I've heard that from two different people, and one was connected to LTE, but the other was not. My LTE's are loud, but they are not the LTE's that are made today. So, dont judge mine - But I run them all the time in Oregon, and they see the duals, and dont even bother to test. As far as the snorkel tube, your gonna have to consider the overall HP gains when you compare exhausts. You wont be able to run the snorkle - unless you have some creative way that nobody has thought of yet. As far as the quiet cores, run them when you need to, and dont run them when you dont need to. Run the screen spark arrestors because they dont affect HP with these, but do keep it quieter.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Scatterbrain, I can vouch for the clutch!!!!!! I found the edge of it he he he it is tough for sure after a weekend of a wet track and 125hp its still in tack[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Pipe choice help