CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Pipe choice help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipe choice help

Hey scatter im running the big gun pipe with all the insides ripped out No baffal , no packing , no nothing. i guess you could say im running a straight pipe. you have to learn how to idal her around when there around. The swingarm is on and she is going to the shop tomorrow, I'll be back in the saddal soon.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:03 AM
Range Rover
Default Pipe choice help

Have you checked out the new pipe from MR HP? (there is one posted in my pictures) You should call Randall or Eric and see how they compare to the others you have considered. They can probably send you dyno charts of each. Their new pipe has a disc system and should get you in the db range you need to be in.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Originally posted by: newbomber
Have you checked out the new pipe from MR HP? (there is one posted in my pictures) You should call Randall or Eric and see how they compare to the others you have considered. They can probably send you dyno charts of each. Their new pipe has a disc system and should get you in the db range you need to be in.
newbomber,

I think the problem that Scatterbrain is having is running with NOS and being at 96db. NOS needs a lot of flow and there are simply very few pipes out there that produce high flow HP at 96 db. Thats not to say there aren't other excellent exhaust systems out there, but getting the gains needed for NOS at 96 db are very rare. Most of the time I think a drag pipe of some kind (in-frame or out-of-frame) would be excellent with NOS. But out west, a rider running a drag pipe would be spotted in a cold minute by the DB Police.

Most of the disk systems that I am familiar with restrict the exhaust in order to get the DB down. While that does provide a flexible solution, its hard if not impossible to get the same HP gains as an exhaust designed from the onset for being quiet.

Certainly, more exhaust are being developed all the time. It would be nice for riders to have more choices. Right now for the DS, out west, there are very few.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

I believe the new HPR pipe is geared more to mild mods. Kinda like the power of the end cap but alot quieter. Randall and I have talked about this, he thinks the CT would be good a good choice. Im looking for mid and high rpm. He didnt mention their new pipe so it probabley wouldnt be the best choice for my application. Marky said that the LTE's make 8hp on the bottom 4 in the mid and 8 on top with the quiet cores in. and a db of 96. The head is flowing real good the lectron is doin its job I just need to get the pipe right. I was hoping for a good argument about all these pipes. I went up to a 20hp shot on the nitrous, big difference from 15. More than likely I will try the LTE's and see how they do. I will probably get a drag pipe just for dragging even though I hate having to swap back and forth and having to retune all the time. Who on here has a DS thats running them? A first hand view would be great. I not real crazy about running the direct mount filter. I would think that keeping the snorkle on to help create more air velocity would be better. But if the LTE's make that much extra power I guess it would be a good trade off.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pipe choice help

Scatter, keep in mind you want the manifold for the nitrous as far back as possible. It wont hurt it to be right up next to the carb, but is better where you have it. I have been through this already man, it sucks you cant have you cake and eat it too.
If it were me, I know the cams you run, and they like the 7800-7900 range. Not alot of Rpm, but add the porting, then stack the Nitrous on top of that, and the pipe needs to flow like it turning 11,000 rpm. You need a pipe that flows ALOT!! Stick with a top end pipe. If you want a good duner, but a great hill shooter, stick with a top end pipe. Did I repeat myself?lol

I really dont know which one to choose. But for the same price as LTE's, you could by a complete Ron Woods setup, run the muffler with sparky when on the coast, then throw the drag pipe on a Sand Mt or were there is not limit.

And for another twist, my drag pipe makes about as much more power over the full ron woods, as it did the stock with end cap. Except on top, but was still significant. I gained 3 mph on the hill by just swapping to the drag pipe! I know most full pipes pull about the same power, so the drag is just that much better that you could have!

If you dont do that, my vote's for the CT!

Old 09-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Thanks Viper, Do you know what the db is on the RW muffler and sparky? What problems did you have with the mainfold in the direct mount. Im just curious. I wasnt really wanting to get rid of the snorkle and I dont really want to move my bottle to be able to run the LTE's. I like it stealthy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Im probably going to make a cam change next season maybe to the HR4 or HR5.

A little off topic but im half a$$ed looking around for a sled. Ive been looking at an artic cat 700. any suggestions.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

The bottle thing and the manifold is what finally took the Lte's out of my running. Boondockers claim to fame is the reliablity. They have you put the mainifold so far back so to make sure the nitrous is for one, fully dry, and two be fully mixed with the air and fuel by the time it hits your motor, so there is no lean spot anywere. The close you get the manifold to the carb, the faster the nitrous is injected to the motor before the carb is pressurised and flowing. Now we put it back so far and give it alot of room for safety, so who's to say the actaul time it take for the nitrous to get to the carb?

As for sleds, I am true blue SKIDOO!!
But if you want a really light sled to toss around, that m7 would be fun. If you rode my 800 I guarantee it would change your mind. Now I isnt saying there is anything wrong with them, like I said i'm a true skidoo fan.
Now if you want alot of go, which since you ride a 730 with nitrous, I would guess you do, you might want some more power under the hood. I have heard alot of good things about the 8-900 kits for them, just you'll be stuck filling up with some race fuel.
I am selling one of our 800's, it is in my trailer right now heading for the dealers tomorrow. And I am replacing it with a new 1000. As with the Ds, its hard to make a little motor make ALOT more power, but easier to make a heavy machine lighter and use the big motor for even more power. I am looking for 200hp with pump gas, reliably, and to get the sled in the high 500's for weight.
Polaris also is coming out with a new 755cc sled this year, should be a runner, but then you'd be riding a big POO!!lol

Old 09-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

I'll check to see what Boondocker says tomorrow. But my common sense says, if they have a set up that you can run on the air tube, why not mount it to the direct mount filter????? So, I'll find out from Tech Support tomorrow.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Perfect, that way we will get the exact reasons.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

The only other option would be to run a L O N G direct mount filter. LTE has experimented with this on the Predator, and we all know the Predator situation is the same as the DS.

Quick Reply: Pipe choice help