CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Stock Carb Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Carb Mods

test

Old 05-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stock Carb Mods

OMR,
I did what you said about the float. I hope I did this right...

After turning the carb over & removing the bowl I measured the flat edge on the float under the crowned bottom. On the "hinged" end I was at 12/32 from the flat metal carb body & the unhinged was at 8/32. Out of line according to you. So I bent the tab some & put it back together at 13/32 on the hinged end & 11/32 on the unhinged end. Within your spec right? Does this sound good to you?

I took my quad for a ride with only this change & must say it's much improved![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I was skeptical but you were helpful. Anyway say I could get the carb float to be 12/32 on both ends... Would I see an improvement over 13/32-11/32 as it is now? I know it's in spec but would nominal be better? Also I'm running the DJ needle on the 4th notch & a 180DJ. It might just barely be flat on the bottom, the mid is stronger today even & the top is stronger but still falls off some. What would you recommend? Jet up, jet up & drop the needle, needle raised ????? Just trying to get 100% potential.

For anyone who hasn't checked their float level OMR's advice was time well spent on mine. OMR, you need a website with pics & such.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stock Carb Mods

OMR, any chance you can make another step by step post with your new changes, and additional steps all mapped out in one spot? I really want to do these, but just can't read through this whole thread again....

Old 06-01-2006, 06:55 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!
Default Stock Carb Mods

When I changed internet provider the forum locked me out.
So Oldmanracing died and Now I am OMR.
I cannot edit the first post with upgrades as before.
I may start a new Stock Carb Mods by OMR
Will do it over the weekend.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stock Carb Mods

That would be a really cool deal. I know it is asking a bunch to have you re-write it, so thanks so much...

Old 06-03-2006, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Carb Mods

OMR,
I'm up to a 185 main and it did help on the top as well, but I also installed a slip on I made and had not rejetted for it from just having a modded end cap. I put a picture of the slip on in my photo gallery on this forum. I will add a pic of how I did my tubes into the airbox tomorrow when I finish cleaning them up.

I will be dyno tuning this combo next Wed, and will let you know the results and post my jetting.

I still can't believe how much these mods have helped my DS, especially the midrange. The throttle response is incredible.

Thanks again for posting your carb mods,

Scott

Old 06-04-2006, 03:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default Stock Carb Mods

OMR,

I finished the OMR Carb bomb tonight. And I have a question for you.

This is what I did.

I used the DJ needle with the clip in the 2nd groove from the top, the DJ 175 jet. Pliot screw 2 turns out.
Spring cut down from 4 1/2", 4 - 1/8" holes in the vacuume slide, bottom washer filed down to a "D" shape.
For the intake I used flexable spa hose insted of the sump pump hose. Same I.D/O.D but smooth bore. Installed 6" of origional intake hose inside the air box. The ballance hose has been pluged And I am using a K&N air filter.
I set the float to within your spec, 1/32" difference.

Here is my problem.

When I frist started my quad, It fired right up with no problems. However when I tried to rev it up it would pop a few times thru the intake and die. It would restart just fine but would not rev.

When I put the choke into the frist position it would rev fine. Could do any real hard reving or riding because it was too late.

I think that I need to increase my jet size, and the poping is being caused by a lean condition.

What is your thoughts?

TIA
Brian

Old 06-04-2006, 03:38 AM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Carb Mods

Bri, did you use a small filter for the carb side of the balance tube? If you just plugged it and did not vent it with a filter it could be causing your problem. Also, with the tubes in the airbox, I'm on the last (6th) groove on the DJ needle, you might be way too lean on the midrange.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Stock Carb Mods

I still have the stock balance hose connected. I thought about capping both the ends off. I have the caps. I tried a DJ185 & the DJ needle on the 4th from top notch. It ran real strong in the mid but fell off on top end. I dropped to a DJ 180 tonight. I might see if that helps the top without affecting my mid.

My float is 2/32 from each other. Is that as good as the same since it still under 3/32?

Old 06-04-2006, 04:05 AM
Trailblazer
Default Stock Carb Mods

TheStir

No, I do not have the carb side filtered. It is plugged. After thinking about it I can see why it needs to be vented.

I will try this tomorrow,,,,,,,OH wait it is tommorrow,,so I wil have to try it later today.

Also I am thinking about putting in a DJ 185 Main.

Brian

Quick Reply: Stock Carb Mods