CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander 800 Noise??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander 800 Noise??

Hi all,

Just got my new outlander 800 on Friday and put 6 hours on it over the weekend.
Everything is working great so far [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] This thing kicks a$$. Lots of power and handles like a dream.

The concern:
I hear a whine that sounds like it is coming from the center/front of the machine. The noise increases with ground speed. It's NOT a grinding sound but just a whine that is somewhat concerning not knowing if it is "normal" or not.

Do you hear this noise on your 800?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

That "whining" sound is normal. It is the CVT working. Unless you are hearing something different, no worries. Mine makes the sound as well.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 05PRED500
That "whining" sound is normal. It is the CVT working. Unless you are hearing something different, no worries. Mine makes the sound as well.
Dito.
I kinda thought its belt wine was quieter than most, I am use to the Prairie though.

unrelated noise:
I did here a metalic harmonic noise at certan lower RPM kinda reminded me of the sound most Polaris makes, like a heat shield on a head pipe was loose. I only herd it 2 or 3 times in about 4 hours of riding it. I hered one of the GNCC racers lost his ruber graments on his exhaust durring a race, I am going to check it out for loose bolts on the exhaust.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, I hear that noise on mine too, sounds normal to me. But I hear another noise on hard braking when almost full stop, sound like cracking noise coming from the front disk brake, anyone else?

Old 09-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

But I hear another noise on hard braking when almost full stop, sound like cracking noise coming from the front disk brake, anyone else?
I have the same braking noise that you are descibing. I wasn't as concerned with that noise because I had heard it or read it prior to my first ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Glad to hear that overyone else has a "jet engine" for a cvt clutch...I think I just need to put on a loud muffler and then I won't be concerned with these noises anymore. Did a little digging around to see what this CVT clutch looks like because I still couldn't understand why it was making so much noise.

The "fins" on the back of the primary are HUGE...no wonder it makes whirring noise.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Posted a picture of the primary "fins" here.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

did you guys get the FREE 5 YEAR warranty with your Outlanders?

outlandertvoffer.com

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

NO....not in Canada

Old 09-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

I herd about the 5 year warranty deal the day I was buying mine, I could not find any details on it so I called BRP customer service and the lady told me I had to watch the infomercial showing in my area then call the number, and actualy buy it over the phone and they would ship it to the dealer. I asked her why I could not just get the promo on the one the dealer had on the lot. I was told that the promo was not availble like that. So the next day someone on one of the forums posted a link to the form to fill out. I found out the form could have been just handed to the dealer and I would have got it on the one I bought off the lot. So I called the dealer they had me fax in the form and they are trying to get it fixed but were not making any promises. What a deal, If Bomb wants to put on a promo why can't they just do it in stead of all this screwing around.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: desualt
Yep, I hear that noise on mine too, sounds normal to me. But I hear another noise on hard braking when almost full stop, sound like cracking noise coming from the front disk brake, anyone else?
I have that sound too, its kind of a creeky cracking sound just at low speed breaking. They work fine so I have been ignoring it.

Quick Reply: Outlander 800 Noise??