CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

The Truth!!..on CDI's

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Truth!!..on CDI's

it seems you already answered your question, "...causing backlash and sometimes major $$ repairs. I would love a Vortex, but for my mods..end cap. carb, ported intake...I find it hard to justify $300.00."
major $$ repairs and not being able to ride for some time until its fixed VS a $300 good CDI like vortex and RWR. I got my RWR cdi off ebay, only trouble was swtiching the wires for my Baja but RWR has a print out for that, works great, but it will rev past the safe point so watch your tach or get titanium valves.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Just my 2 cents ... I've never heard of a problem with backlash, or pre-ignition at idle with a Big Gun unit. Just so everyone knows, the Procom units are NOT manufacured by Procom engineering. Procom simply imports the raw EPROMs from China and loads the power curve into the units per thier specs, or per thier dealer specs- some dealers choose to simply resell the Procom power curve. The power curve on the Big Gun unit is different than the power curve on the Procom - Believe me, I know this because Mike Young told me this, and I simply have not seen any units or heard about any units from Big Gun with this problem.

Considering that, you should know that I've had this problem with my Ron Wood Racing CDI running a 14:1 compression piston with Race Gas. It didnt cause any damage, but I had the problem once and swapped it out with a Vortex and never had the problem again.

I just boils down to how advanced the ignition timing curve is on these boxes at idle. To much advance and you are asking for trouble with a high compression piston.

There are other issues with the EPROMs that Procom engineering imports, like failed units. This was more of a problem in the past than it is now, but I still read about an occasional unit failing from the china. Currently, Procom and Big Gun (among others) are pretty good about replacing failed units. For some this may be worth the risk, for others it is not.

The most durable units (IMHO) that I know of are the Ron Wood Racing CDI box and the Vortex box. Like many guys, they keep the stock CDI just in case there ever is a failed unit.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

EVERY TIME THIS TOPIC COMES UP OVER THE YEARS, THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS THE SAME

EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT ALL THE UNITS....EXCEPT THE THE VORTEX

NEVER HAVE I HEARD A BAD THING ABOUT IT, JUST BUY IT!!!!

IF IT IS TO MUCH MONEY SAVE UP AND BUY IT!!!

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, BUTTON IS STUCK..STICKY KEYS

Old 10-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Just my 2 cents ... I've never heard of a problem with backlash, or pre-ignition at idle with a Big Gun unit. Just so everyone knows, the Procom units are NOT manufacured by Procom engineering. Procom simply imports the raw EPROMs from China and loads the power curve into the units per thier specs, or per thier dealer specs- some dealers choose to simply resell the Procom power curve. The power curve on the Big Gun unit is different than the power curve on the Procom - Believe me, I know this because Mike Young told me this, and I simply have not seen any units or heard about any units from Big Gun with this problem.

Considering that, you should know that I've had this problem with my Ron Wood Racing CDI running a 14:1 compression piston with Race Gas. It didnt cause any damage, but I had the problem once and swapped it out with a Vortex and never had the problem again.

I just boils down to how advanced the ignition timing curve is on these boxes at idle. To much advance and you are asking for trouble with a high compression piston.

There are other issues with the EPROMs that Procom engineering imports, like failed units. This was more of a problem in the past than it is now, but I still read about an occasional unit failing from the china. Currently, Procom and Big Gun (among others) are pretty good about replacing failed units. For some this may be worth the risk, for others it is not.

The most durable units (IMHO) that I know of are the Ron Wood Racing CDI box and the Vortex box. Like many guys, they keep the stock CDI just in case there ever is a failed unit.

Well I would have to agree with ODP on this post.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I've had a BMW rewired CDI, RWR CDI & the Vortex CDI. All three have been good to me. I like the Vortex the best. I sold the RWR CDI because I didn't like not having a rev limiter. I didn't have any problems at all with it but was on a stock motor. I like the size, quality, rev limiter, options & easy use of the Vortex. My Vortex is also a reprogramed one from HPR with different setting than it came with from stock. It's also install on my built motor. IMO go with the Vortex CDI, I know it's more money but cheaper than fixing motor damage & down time fixing the motor. No you don't have to have the reprogramed one but for me it was best for my riding & racing that I do.

Old 10-07-2005, 04:36 AM
Pro Rider

The procom cost me $500.00 dollars in parts. Sprag clutch, gears ect. I now run the RWR and have no problems. D

Old 10-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Range Rover

Procom cost me a fly wheel key! Stopped my quad dead at the dunes.....
sheered key right off. Timing advanced to much in low rpms....