CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lost another CDI.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost another CDI.

Eaglecollector and I believe that I've lost another one.

That's two CDI's and a battery recently.

What could be doing this?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Bad rectifier? Thats what regulates the voltage. 2000 & 2001 had the bad one. They were updated in 2002. These were especially a problem when you got an aftermarket rev limiter - the extra voltage generated from higher RPM couldnt be absorbed by the rectifier - blew it into the system and thats when we all had problems with burning out lights. It might burn out a CDI as well.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Yea Marky, I was thinking rectifier.

Let me tell you how this one went down. My buddy Dave thinks it's the stator that is bad.

I made a few passes and eveything seemed ok. then I noticed a bog when hitting the throttle.

well Larry and I started playing with it at camp and found out that it felt like the rev limiter was kicking in way to early.

After letting it cool, it was fine again, but then the warmer the engine got, thje sooner it would start acting up.

At 140 degrees it was fine.
180 it would act up at half throttle and once it got over 200 degrees, it would stumble riight away.

after cycling through this a few times, the engine started stalling.

Then eventually the bike would not start. There is no spark coming from the plugs right now.

I know I'll need a new CDI. I hope it is the rectifier and not the stator. Cheaper right?

How do I determine which one it is?

Thanks, Al

Old 10-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

the rectifier gets warmer and warmer as juice is going thru it, as any electrical device does, so it may be coincidentally causing the poblem as the motor warms to the temps you describe. if the cdi is being fried by something, it is most likely being fried by excessive juice, and if there was a stator problem I would think it would be supplying undervoltage rather than overvoltage. if you have a shop manual, there are instructions on how to inspect the integrity of the stator, if you do not have the manual I can e-mail you the section on the electrical system.

I bought my bike in january of '01, still on stock rectifier and rwr cdi that I put on it that first year, luckily. but I carry a spare rectifier ($12 off e-bay) and the stock cdi on every trip, just in case. never burnt out a headlight, but suffered from tail lights buring out bad until I put in an LED.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Have you tried swaping out the coil yet Al? You said you had a spare one at home. Worth a shot and easy to change since the MSD only uses one coil and it's easy to get at.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

YEA WHAT THEY SAID!! Good luck al!! these guys are on top of your situation. My problem WAS the MSD but only my settings. runs good now .I just need to run it on some dunes . not today . next weekend

Bombsaway Bud

Old 10-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to like the rectifier, and I agree with HT on the stator. A stator wouldn't necessarily work worse as temps go up. What I worry is that the rectifier could take out the coil. I bet if you were to change out the rectifier with a known good one right on the spot, you wouldn't diplay the same simptoms.

Rectifier
then coil
then pray it's not the stator.....

Good luck 650.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Eaglecollector
Have you tried swaping out the coil yet Al? You said you had a spare one at home. Worth a shot and easy to change since the MSD only uses one coil and it's easy to get at.
That aint it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Got a rectifier coming from Majorecho.

I will put the stock ignition back on so that I can get it running and Dave can check the rest of it for me.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] You're kidding me!!!

Al. . .let me know, I may have an extra stator around if you want to try it out, I'll have to check my garage.

I'm sure it isn't your magnet so, just the stator isn't quite as painful.

I'ld try swapping out the battery and the voltage regulator and then try it. The regulator's are cheap enough that I wouldn't bother putting the one you have now back on your bike again. Those CDI's are too expensive!!!

Old 10-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] You're kidding me!!!
Those CDI's are too expensive!!!
Yea, tell me about it.

The battery is brand new. Sill at 12.9 volts.

I'll wait for the regulator from Curtis, run it with the stock cdi at first.

Then Mario is going to let me use his RWR cdi so I can turn some real rpm's.

If all goes well, I'll buy another cdi.

I may go vortex this time, but even that is expensive.

That's why I've been looking for a used RWR unit, but seems everyone thinks they're made of gold. I'd rather buy a new one before paying what some guys want.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Lost another CDI.