CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

SOME MORE COOL FEATURES OF EFI

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOME MORE COOL FEATURES OF EFI

I was told that my version is self learning and tune on the fly, which to me was explained by Kelly that you just plug it in and the ECU does everything. NO user input is required.

From what you guys are saying, its sounds anything but that! One of the major reason I went to EFI is the fact that it wouldn't need any user input. I felt it was worth it to shell out the big buck to not have to adjust my carbs and to know that my A/F ratio would be spot on no matter what changes I threw at it.

I thought my quad ran great at DS days. It did lose a O2 sensor, that could be due to a faulty sensor or the lead from the race fuel killed it. If it turns out that lead is killing my O2 sensor then I have a serious dilemma. My CR ratio requires the leaded fuel so either I lower my compression ratio, switch back to carbs, or change a O2 sensor every now and then. I am hoping it was just a faulty O2 sensor so I don't have to consider any of those options.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Trailblazer

Im not working on any of this but it sounds very interesting and exciteing that this can be done with the new EFI's. this brings out a whole new venture away from carbs, like what happend with trucks and such, the ATV is definately getting alot more attention than it used to. I think this form of communication has had the biggest impact by far. The general public can just come and learn at a computer about anything they want, all they need is the basic knowledge of a browser, or software. But most times not even that, and they get it figured out. We just adapt by nature.

Sorry for getting off topic I just wanted to make a general comment about what is going on here, now carry on with the task at hand and nevermind me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

P.S. keep up the good,hard work fellas! it will be used someday, just like this thing here your looking at. (the PC)

Old 10-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

once the efi map is set to your bike it will keep you there no matter what temp or alt but the trouble is getting the fuel map setup to get the best out of your bike. also if you change anything on your motor you will need to change the map. that why if this autotune program does work it will be a deffinate advantage as far as tunnng. also with the datalogging will help tunning with out the use of the dyno. once i get a chance to try all this new software i will let you all know

Old 10-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

I am trying to figure out how it compensates for altitude. Does it have an altimeter built in? Without barometric pressure I think it would be hard to correct. Temperature doesn't affect jetting near as much as baro.

On another subject. Scooby, if you are reading, and don't mind me asking, what size turbo are you running. That thing had massive bottom end power when you launched!

Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222
I am trying to figure out how it compensates for altitude. Does it have an altimeter built in? Without barometric pressure I think it would be hard to correct. Temperature doesn't affect jetting near as much as baro.
Do you need to adjust for altitude (through a pressure sensor)? Doesn't altitude just result in a richer condition since you aren't bringing as many air molecules in. . . this results in a A/F ratio that is off set-point and the self-learn should adjust to that and de-fuel to bring your A/F back to set-point???

Since you have an O2 sensor isn't A/F ratio what the computer is trying to maintain in your control loop by changing fuel input?

I think the first generation had a pressure sensor mounted on the bike for barometric pressure but, I could be wrong.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

the system runs a map sensor which measures enginge vaccum. vaccum will be affected by alttitude and thats how it will compensate for alt. when it is shipped the baro sensing is turned off, i switched it on. why they send it like that i dont know.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sandaholic

I thought my quad ran great at DS days. It did lose a O2 sensor, that could be due to a faulty sensor or the lead from the race fuel killed it. If it turns out that lead is killing my O2 sensor then I have a serious dilemma. My CR ratio requires the leaded fuel so either I lower my compression ratio, switch back to carbs, or change a O2 sensor every now and then. I am hoping it was just a faulty O2 sensor so I don't have to consider any of those options.
I'm not an expert and know nothing about EFI. However. I tried running one of those O2 sensors with a little guage you buy for around $100 and it said on their website that leaded fuels will ruin an O2 sensor in a short period of time then the readings from it will not be accurate.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Originally posted by: saint650
the system runs a map sensor which measures enginge vaccum. vaccum will be affected by alttitude and thats how it will compensate for alt. when it is shipped the baro sensing is turned off, i switched it on. why they send it like that i dont know.

Kelly told us to leave the baro turned off. Said it throws the whole system off when turned on.

Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

well ,,,if you turn the buro setting off... how does the thing work?????? will it still self learn?? adjust the ve map??? how???? So many questions MAN!!! I need to start from scrach to understand this thing. Kelly and I need to have a long talk?!!!??

Bud

Old 10-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wshrdskin
Originally posted by: Sandaholic

I'm not an expert and know nothing about EFI. However. I tried running one of those O2 sensors with a little guage you buy for around $100 and it said on their website that leaded fuels will ruin an O2 sensor in a short period of time then the readings from it will not be accurate.
leaded fuel will F up nb 02 but wb 02 can take the lead for some time

Quick Reply: SOME MORE COOL FEATURES OF EFI