CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Preload and Rebound Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 03:01 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preload and Rebound Adjustments

Can some of you more experienced Gentlemen explain some of the preload and rebound settings? My main question is where is the factory setting? Is it in the center of the complete rotations? I haven't ran stop to stop for fear of messing something up. I have adjusted both to a little heavier (stiffer) setting, but not sure how far to go or even how far I can go. My sag is set at 3 inches.
For reference most of my riding is open desert with the occasional dune trip. Lots of hills, washes, dry lake beds, very rocky mining roads. Usually what can be found on BLM property. Lots of that up here around 29 Palms.
250lbs.

Old 10-15-2005, 05:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

kinda general rule of thumb is 1/3 of the travel be set as sag, for most bikes that'd be about 3" but for the DS's nearly 12" of travel most run 4" of sag, myself included. measured from end of swingarm to a place directly above it when fully extended, then with rider on seat, and the difference being sag. sag is set for rider weight and would not change from one terrain to another, unlike compression and rebound.

the compression (remote rezzy) and rebound (bottom of shock) adjusters have somewhere between 20 to 24 clicks of adjustment, at least they do on my old '01. I run my compression a bit on the soft side somewhere midway in the adjustment. and I run the rebound pretty slow, about 5 or 6 clicks from bottoming the screw out to as slow as it goes. get too fast on the rebound and she bucks like a bronco in the whoops.

here's a link with some more info, about the best explanation around.

Shock tuning

Old 10-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

Now that I MIGHT have my electrical issues solved, I need to tune my suspension.

Is it any different for extended swingarms. I've got plus five.

What about even chain tension? Eaglecollector and I noticed that the chain loosened when the suspension is compressed versus the stock onewhich tightens.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

those are good questions Vegas, I don't know but am interested in the answers.
I do know that the rear shock would definitely need revalved for such an extension, and maybe resprung too, if it isn't already, due to the added leverage working against it making it easier to compress and bottom.
I would guess that the general rule of thumb for sag would be similiar, but then again you have that long swingarm for drags and there may be alot more variables to consider concerning traction control and holeshot and all that.
Need some experienced extended guys to chime.

not sure there's much you can do with the chain tension though, except have a good chain guide to help keep it in line and help prevent it from throwing thru the case saver if it comes off. it can't be allowed to get tight at any part of the travel, including full extension, that's whens chains snap. hammering thru whoops allows for full extension and as that swingarm reaches it the chain would be getting yanked on over and over.

Old 10-16-2005, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

So as far as the chain goes, I'd be better off having it a little loose on compression than tight at extention, right?

Old 10-16-2005, 05:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

yes, "tight" causes breaks