CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Where are the hunters ??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are the hunters ??????

Jacking guys around? Whats with you guys? I am honestly asking about how these machines hunt? I thought it was a pretty realistic question. I realize modern firearm JUST opened for deer ...SO...it is open! I want to know how these machines do in real hunting applications. This line of questioning shouldn't be percieved as misleading. This IS one of the main reasons why i would buy a utility machine. Please...stick to the question. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Pastor
The fact that there are NO hunters using these machines .....isn't good. I am not attcking the machine boys...so don't get upset. However, for one that IS looking for the ultimate machine I find this eerily strange. For some reason, NO ONE is using this machine in true utility applications.
Man you really need a vacation bud. Do yourself a favor and run a seach in the Bomb forum on the word "hunt". The only hunting your going to find around here is for snakes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Your time would be better spent lurking around some of the hunting forums pissin on someone elses parade. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

You guys are riduclous. Someone said I could get some intelligent info. Some of you guys must be offended over a simple question
such as asking how this machine fairs during hunting season. Forget it. Besides...your "sand" machines have no business in the woods during hunting season...do they?

Old 10-17-2005, 03:40 AM
Pro Rider

The thing about this thread that I dont understand is, what is so tough about hunting for quads to do?? Lifelong AVID hunter is me and I think a 20 year old Suzuki Quad runner 250 4x4 would do 99.99999997% of what 99.999999999999999999998% of ATV hunters do. What would be so difficult for the 800, the newest, most powerful, most advanced ATV in the world to accomplish? I guarendangtee you that a GNCC race or an agresive trailrider would put this machine through 99.9999999% more abuse than a hunter ever would. Think about it. Most of the time they are putting along at sub 10mph watching for game. A log here and there to cross, The SST does this better than any other desighn on the morket PERIOD. A creek crossing, no problem, the new desighn of suspenion with its true streight rang of motion will keep you in line. Hauling out the game after harvest....POWER, suspension DUHHH need we even go there. Mud is MAYBE the only weak spot on the 800 and that is not the machines fault, it is the tires Bomb chose. If your worried about mud enough, you will change your tires to a better arangement. So again Pastor, we ask you, WHAT INFO DO YOU WISH TO FIND OUT THAT I HAVENT ALREADY ANSWERED??

See not rude!! Just the facts.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think Pastor was just looking for conversation and some insightful info.
So anyway, for conversation's sake,

I am a hunter - archery, blackpowder, and modern firearm - although Indiana has no modern firearm for deer, I do that in Kentucky. And when I'm in the kentucky hills and back country, my DS flat out aint gonna get done what I need done. Its nothing more than transportation for one person and nothing else, and its loud as hell. It aint dragging a deer up and down the hills I gotta crawl, or through the creeks I gotta cross. When I bag a deer, I go get my buddies quiet Rubicon, tie the deer to the back hitch, put my climbing stand on the front rack, drag the deer to the creek for field dressing, then put the deer on the back rack for the couple mile ride to deer camp.

When I'm going up and down these kentucky hills fully loaded and rear-heavy from the big 10 pointer on the back, there are two things I'm wishing for - a little more power and and a longer wheelbase cause even the 4x4's can get a bit light in the front on steep grades, and sometimes you can get a little worried climbing that bank out of the creeks. This is where the new Outy 800 steps in - way more power from the way it sounds, and the long wheelbase of the two person model where the back seat can be removed for more rack space. That longer wheel base is just what the doctor ordered in my opinion, two person or not.

As far as why this new qaud aint being used by hunters, well that's just it - its brand new. Aint even been on the market for more than what, a couple months? So give it more time, the opinions and experiences will come. But as for me right now, I can't think of a more feature loaded and practical hunting quad than the Outy 800, but it has one hang-up for me - the price tag. I can't justify it, I can always go back to dragging by hand to save $9K.

But then there is the Outy 400 H.O., as described in the first response to this thread - you can get in the same long frame two seater version for the wheelbase and rack space, but less cost. And its motor - well it punches way more power than most of the competition in its class - like 1/3 more power than the artic cat/suzuki 400 motor, and 1/4 more power than the Yamaha 450 utes, based on what I'm told.

But hey I like the Vinsons alot and always have. And being as you have one pastor, you would be paying alot of money for just a few added features on a new quad. But if you got it to spend, might as well get what you want if you can.

Look here for pics of what the DS can't handle hauling.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Hightower, Thankf for the intelligent response. I was starting to wonder if I ever was going to get one. Your right...I may just stick with what i have...it's PLENTY good.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cool, mission complete.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

I use my Polaris '05 700 EFI to get me many places when hunting....I'm sure the Outlander will do great for hunting. One thing I like about the Polaris is the size of the racks....but we've hauled out many elk on Yamaha Wolverine racks....so you will do carrying gear or animals around.....go for it...

Old 10-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Pastor,

Having only two months, 400+ miles and ~75 hours on my Outty 400 I think that I can still answer your questions fully. I have done slow slogging, mud bogging, rock crawling, towing (a Polaris both times...hmmm), carrying 450lbs, long-hauls, fast runs and river crossings. It has been stuck on its nose, rolled, high-centered and even gotten a little light (not floaty, though) while crossing the Tetlanika River. I've been running with a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 V-twin, a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O., Hondas, Suzis and a tracked Argo. We have hunted almost every kind of terrain that you can truly imagine here in Alaska--mountains (and I mean leaning on the front rack-trying not to flip it over mountains), muskeg (you jump up and down and a puddle 100ft away will splash along with you--nasty stuff), tundra (multiple epithets to describe this ugly stuff), hard-pack, real river crossings (where you hope it doesn't rain too much while you're gone or you can't cross them again), unholy-ungodly-otherwordly mud trails (come on up if you think you've got the real rig...), silty glacier pumice that turns from sand to concrete depending upon water content (allows you to dig your own grave if it gets just right and you start to spin your wheels), iced-over ruts (get ready to buy more plastic fenders) and every kind of beautiful terrain upon which anyone who owns an ATV loves to ride. It is truly GODS COUNTRY for ATVs--just stay down there in the Lower 48...please...we have too many people here already...hee, hee.

The <u>only</u> thing that I cannot do is to out-accelerate the 700 or to out-speed the 700. There is nothing else that I cannot do equally well or better on the 400 HO. While I don't have but two months' experience on my Outty 400 HO I have many years on bikes and this is rather similar.

Shortcomings:
Sure, I'd love to have the 800 when I'm hauling a meat trailer or crawling up a short hill and leading. The 400 doesn't have the monster power of the 800 (nor does anything else) and I'd like to not have to shift into low gear. I'd love to have the 800 prior to getting a set of Apache tracks for muskeg areas and snow. I'd love to have the 2006 version metal racks, though it would have cost me more than $27 to replace the plastic rack that I broke when rolling it... Sure, I'd love to have a complete choice of tires prior to ordering my machine. These are minor complaints and not solved by going to a different brand.

Strengths:
1. The Outlander is quite capable and no more likely to get stuck in mud, mixed soil, silt or muskeg than any of my riding partners excepting for the tracked Argo. Even then we run about the same as he is so slow on the hardball roads that he is WAY behind in those situations. 2. The frame really does slip and slide along trees and stuff, kinda funky at first. 3. It has plenty of power to do up to 58mph on a flat and straight road with two people, full racks and gun boot. I can outrun the Polaris 500 H.O by a couple of mph. 4. At the end of the day I am sipping gas on most every kind of terrain but heavy mud--it just doesn't have the power to bust through 1" thick ice-covered mud like the heavier and more powerful machines. 5. The plastic used in the fenders is pliable (plastic enough) to deform without cracking when struck by ice all day long at 20-30° F. My buddies on their Polaris machines are busy buying new CV joint covers, front fenders and new footwells as they broke almost every piece of plastic multiple times going through ice last weekend--I didn't so much as crack a nail let alone bust a fender. No good reason I can think of as we were all leading, following and running the same loads.

Recommendations:
1. The tire choice is just fine on the XT versions--go get yourself a set of tracks if you have an extra $3500 burning a hole in your pocket for the ultimate mobility or drop $500 for ITPs to get stuck a further fifteen feet beyond your buddies... I am of the opinion that you would be far better served to get yourself a 1000lb. come-along ($25), 125feet of X-line low temp line with hook ($262), and a 1964 German trenching shovel/pick ($13 at Army/Navy). Put a piece of cable through the handle and it turns into the perfect X-tractor tool... These are things that you'll need regardless and are useful beyond pulling out your ATV. Take the extra $250 and get your wife something nice. She'll dig that more than a new set of ITPs for your rig...
2. Get the 800 outty if you are going to get the tracks, going to pull a meat trailer or are going to slog through the mud &gt; 30miles/day. Trust me that you'll actually use LESS gas in those situations.
3. As for the MAX version I'd say nix that stuff, especially if you're going to be zipping in and out of forested areas. I can actually get through stuff more nimbly than everyone with whom I ride. Get yourself a meat wagon if you need to haul stuff. See #2 above.
4. Get the XT version, add the 7" rack extension, add electric hand/thumb warmers, obtain a GPS unit, put on a front fender bag and put together some waterproof rack bags. See #1 above for other stuff you need.
5. Send pictures of your successful hunt!
6. Come up to Alaska if you start getting too cocky. You'll learn respect for a good machine, good equipment, good riding partners, good maintenance and good luck all at the same time. While you can get hurt real fast and real easy it is the ultimate up here...

Cheers,

IceKing02

Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Trailblazer

great review Iceking02!

Quick Reply: Where are the hunters ??????