CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2005 GNCC Ironman - round 13, end of season

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 05:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GNCC Ironman - round 13, end of season

I'm not racing this year afterall, too much going on for me right now outside of the riding circle. But I am going to the race to check out the pro pits, get plenty of pictures, watch the races, and post up at the nastiest hill climb and snapshot the tumbles and cartwheels.

Come if you can, look me up - I'll be the tall guy that you can't miss a mile away. If you see somebody sticking up above everybody else in the crowd, just hollar Hightower and I'll answer.

here's info of the race from the GNCC website:

Round 13, October 22 & 23
Klotz Ironman GNCC
The Ironman finale is one of the most popular races on the circuit. A local Polaris dealership hosts the event, and they get together with local farmers to get plenty of land for the track. Community support for this race is amazing. Ironman GNCC banners hang downtown, and the spectator count is incredible.

The land in this area is totally flat, but the course runs near riverbanks, which means there’s still plenty of elevation change. If it rains, the hills will be the toughest part, as the course will be routed around the creeks. If it doesn’t rain, the riders will hit the creeks, and they’re rocky. Be careful not to cut a tire there. Also, since the race runs in October, it can get cold. Try to stay dry in those creeks.
Outside of the woods, the course routes across harvested cornfields. You’ll have your machine pegged at its absolute top-speed several times here.

The Ironman event is named after the late GNCC ATV Champion Bob "Ironman" Sloan, who hailed from Indiana and helped make the event happen.

Last year's winners: Barry Hawk / William Yokley
Where to stay:
Holiday Inn (765) 362-8700.
Where to eat:
Uncle Smiley’s Inn (765) 362-0432, Applebee’s (765) 361-8711.
Directions: South of Crawfordsville off Route 47. Stay on 47 South and look for signs.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

how was the race ... any pictures of the big hills i really wanted to go but it was my grandparents 50th anniversery and i had to stay home ... im interested on how big these hills are incase i decide im racing in it next year

matt

Old 10-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There are a couple hills that have a lot of riders second guessing, there is sometimes an easier but longer way around them, but one in particular poses a challenge on all paths and has no way to get around it, and its the one the crowd hangs out at. You either do the hill, or quit. And it comes upon you as you leave the river and everything is all wet. Hammer down and go, do or die. tapdance on it and its over, shoot it fast and you're home free.

Lots of Race Pics.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the hill I speak of is so popular, there is a shuttle bus that runs all day, back and forth, bringing people to it and taking people back from it. you hike a short distance from the bus drop to the hill, you can see some of the action from the roadside even.

Old 10-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharring Chris, looked like a real good time, I hope I can come down next time.

It looks like that outlander 800 rips.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I read somewhere that somebody heard Penland say he wasn't very happy with the Outy 800. Can't imagine why - he took 1st place in the Stock Utility Class, and 24th OverAll out of nearly 350 riders in the morning race. If he beat over 300 sport quads on a utility in a cross country race, then I don't really see what there is to be unhappy about. I think I'll just ignore that comment.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

i havn't heard any1 say anything about it but he should be sattisfied i know for a fact that the 800 will beat my ds until 3rd gear anyday so for racing thats about all you need and it has enough power to where i dont think i could try and keep up with it in a race like the ironman race

matt

Old 10-26-2005, 01:29 AM
Range Rover

I meet Mike Penland and Scott Kilby at the Unidilla race this year, we talked about the 800 and how I should set up my 800 for GNCC racing. First off they really like the bike and say its quite a machine as is, power and handling are second to none. Kilby always had to were a kidney belt while racing or his body would get very sore, with the 800 he doesn't need the belt or get beat up nearly as much.

Even as good as the machine is stock it still needs mods to make it more GNCC ready. They push these machines to the limit and are working with Bomb techs to improve certain areas that might need attention. The same was done to the Kawasaki's they previously had for years. Since these Bombs are so new they will need tweeking for the rigors of GNCC, it will take some time till all is perfect but they are getting there. They talk to Bombs R & D at least twice a week, some of the modifications will eventually trickle down to the production units. For the short time they had to work with the Bomb they were very pleased.

By the way Mike Penland won the last GNCC of the year last week to tie for the championship!