CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Impressed, but not too impressed

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:06 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressed, but not too impressed

Its been soooo very long since i have actually ridden a sport quad that was running right, as mine has been in the shop for what seems like a year. But i got to ride a friends YFZ with a full yoshi exaust and he said he also has cams... as it has been so long since i have been on a quad, it felt super quick, but after riding for a while and opening it up a few times i started thinking, and i know my stock DS isnt as quick as this YFZ, but it didnt seem like the YFZ was just insanely quicker than my stocker. now im excited about getting mine out of the shop, completely rebuilt with a K&N air filter and pre-filter, TM45 Carb, a mod quad end cap, and a ported intake from Mr. HP. Im not sure if i will be as quick as him, but i am giving myself the benefit of the doubt by thinking i will stay close enough to him that i can pull past him aftert a few 100 feet. whats your opinion? I dont think this is a "this quad" VS. "that quad" post, as i know those type posts get so very annoying after being repeated a million times, but if this does fall into that classification i apologize in advance. just thought i would see if anyone else thought a slightly modded 2005 YFZ was fast, but not untouchable by a slightly modded DS. Opinions?

Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Range Rover

No opinions at all?

Old 10-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

The DS is the most misunderstood quad out there.
It is so detoned from the factory, that many mags do not rate it that well.
It responds very good to basic changes.
A properly tuned DS with a few mods can beat most simular equipped quads , most of the time.
Adjust , tests and adjust till right on. Don't just bolt on and expect miracles.
Know your machine and you will be surprised how often you will win.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Pro Rider

Or add a turbo and EFI......get 70 hp with 5 pounds of boost.....

The problem is, the DS is bigger and "feels" slower but in reality, you are moving pretty fast.

If you don't believe me, try this simple test....

Find a long flat spot and really get on the throttle of your DS, when you hit 5th gear, jump off the back and then you'll see how fast you were going.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Just kidding, of course a modified YFZ will be quicker then a stock YFZ. Wait until your get your modified DS back with proper gearing, then go up a hill next to his bike, then you will see how fast you are going.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

dont have any paddles to race him in sand, but their are tons of fire-roads....i dont expect to compete with him for the first part of the race, but these big bus's gain speed quick, fast, and in a hurry! How did you guys like the TM45? i know it prolly doesnt compare to the new and improved carbs, but for a rookie like me, who doesnt do any extreme dragging, i have a feeling i will be very pleased.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider

"New and Improved Carbs" ??
Not sure what your refering to but once you get the right jets in the TM I'm sure you'll be as impressed as I am[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
It will take a little tuning time to get everything out of it but once you do......

Old 10-19-2005, 04:01 AM
Range Rover

by new and improved i meant like the lectrons and the bigger TM's. yes i understand how valueble tuning skill is, this will more than likely be my problem, i have no experience tuning any carb at all...i think i need some lessons...i see all these books, "guitar for dummies" "computers for dummies" blaw blaw blaw for dummies, they need to quit messin around and make a "DS for dummies" so i can help my quad shine.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

Hey there cline,
I just rode my DS for the first time the other day with the TM45 Carb mod your getting doen to yours and let me tell ya I felt the cost and effort was well worth it. The gains in rev and power worked real well with the stock bore and stroke. Its not OMG crazy or insane but once tuned I got a real resonable 51 horse out of her which for its weight I feel this bike needed !.
You will be glad you did it...
These mods really make the DS a realy nice bike to ride... I am vary, vary happy with mine.
I feel No more needs to be done to the DS unless you realy intend to spend some serious Mon$y and drag race with it.
The MODS over all make the DS vary responsive to throttel and ones facial expressions....
Let me know how she turns out....

Old 10-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cline, I used to think there was no way that these 450's could be beat. Now dont get me wrong, they still have some very sick fast 450's running around. But, after the carb, pipe and cdi it was a different animal. I only worry about the very well built 450's now...Im just a little ole bolt-on bike though...what do you expect [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

choosetolose04 ......rightttttttttt [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Your one of the guys we got to watch out for ....

Quick Reply: Impressed, but not too impressed