CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My new Magura Hydr. Clutch for the Bomb....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005 | 12:25 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default My new Magura Hydr. Clutch for the Bomb....

Originally posted by: Johnnyairtime

It seems using a cable (what I'm used to all my life) is more of a "sure thing" to make SURE the clutch has free play and isn't dragging. Also, the stock cable isn't as smooth as a hydro but it's almost worth a piece of mind to me. I bought this clutch for my girlfriend to make it easier on her.... and, ultimately I don't think it's any easier. So really, there's no benefit.

I'm sure I'll be selling it once I get home from Halloween in Glamis.... best offers?!
I would spend a little more time trying to get it right because its definitely not working right now. I put one on my CR500 and it made the clutch pull about 30% of the effort it was. My KTM came with one and its clutch pull is comparable to my XR75.

Old 10-20-2005 | 01:18 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Johnnyairtime,Thanks for the posts on the clutch. I dont have one yet, but if the pull is close to stock, I would think that would be a good thing for those with stiff clutch springs. Also, did you have trouble finding neutral before you installed the clutch? And, do you think that the "finding neutral" is more related to clutch plates and springs, as opposed to the Magura system?
Hmmm... good question(s).

I neglected to say that with my cable clutch, it was stock springs and clutch.
With my Magura, it's RWR clutch and 60% springs.... so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

However, the pull is still not 'easy' or anything close to what I expected. I guess when someone says it's like "butter"... I expect it to be SUPER easy. And, well... it's not. My GF said "it's like it was before". But she's comparing it to the cable with stock springs and such. So, ya know... it's working, just not like I'd expect.

I did have trouble finding neutral (but it wasn't so notchy when going gear to gear) when it was cable pull. I chalk up the neutral issue since I like my clutch to engage closer to the grip than further out. Further out is just closer to clutch slippage when fully engaged IMO. When I adjust the clutch (Magura) so it's super easy on the shifting, then I have little to no room for error on the free play with the slave. I'd rather it be notchy than it slipping. And also the notchy is because I don't ALWAYS grab a handful of clutch to shift. I like to just take the pressure off the clutches and shift. So, I have to more or less pull the Magura in further to make it not so notchy... not something I prefer.

This is also a HUGE preference thing. I prefer many things, as you'll read... I don't prefer to pull the clutch ALL the way in when shifting through the gears. However, when stopped... and taking off, I noticed one HUGE advantage of the Magura and that is it COMPLETELY disengages the clutch so there's no drag (when adjusted properly). And when the motor is off... and you go to push the quad in gear... it feels like your not even in gear with the Magura pulled in. Something I don't always get when using cable pull.

....and for the others who say "it's not working right"... "you must have air in the line"... nope. I bled it more than once and with a horse syringe. I know what's up with "how to bleed" and it's still how I explain. When I asked Pete at Magura, he said I could go to a larger piston/slave for it to work 'better', but then the clutch would even get stiffer. No thanks. I'd go back to stock before that ever happens.....

Old 10-20-2005 | 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

I'd like to say its not working right but since you shot that down I'll say its not working like mine. Mine is so soft I could pull it in with my pinkie finger.

Old 10-20-2005 | 02:34 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigJon
I'd like to say its not working right but since you shot that down I'll say its not working like mine. Mine is so soft I could pull it in with my pinkie finger.
How about a 'class' on how to properly set it up, or a 'service call'.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And your running the stiffer springs...etc?!

... I tell ya, there can't be any air in the line. And my mount is now 'custom' (I TIG'd up a new one) as I broke off the stock case part that holds the slave in place when pressure is applied. That puts a tad bit of an angle on the arm/piston relation... but it doesn't seem like enough to make it that hard to pull.

Heck... I'm open for ideas. I'm just at a frustrated level and think something so finicky or time consuming to setup correctly (where you also need a process and more tools than stock) is something that doesn't belong on a Desert or Baja quad. Too much to break or go wrong....

Please... steer me in the right direction... show me the way... hold my hand... I'm open for more suggestion. I just don't want ya to think I'm some kind of bumbling idiot who knows nothing about mechanical issues. It shouldn't be this difficult.

.... ?

Old 10-20-2005 | 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Johnnyairtime
Originally posted by: BigJon
How about a 'class' on how to properly set it up, or a 'service call'.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And your running the stiffer springs...etc?!

... I tell ya, there can't be any air in the line. And my mount is now 'custom' (I TIG'd up a new one) as I broke off the stock case part that holds the slave in place when pressure is applied. That puts a tad bit of an angle on the arm/piston relation... but it doesn't seem like enough to make it that hard to pull. ?
Regarding the stock clutch cover, check the "whats in your garage" thread

Old 10-20-2005 | 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Its probably just a perception thing, You had high expectations and mediocre results.
If you want a comparison use a fish scale or some sort of pull scale to measure the pull force of your clutch and I will do the same... as soon as I find a scale that is. I have 60% springs with the BRP Magura unit so it should be a good comparo.

Old 10-20-2005 | 07:47 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JSsDS
Its probably just a perception thing, You had high expectations and mediocre results.If you want a comparison use a fish scale or some sort of pull scale to measure the pull force of your clutch and I will do the same... as soon as I find a scale that is. I have 60% springs with the BRP Magura unit so it should be a good comparo.
Exaaaaaactly...!

Kind of what I was thinking and trying to relate.
Good idea on the 'pull' using a fish scale. Hmm, my dad has one... but he's gone hunting in Oregon (for Elk), and I'm on my way tomorrow night to Glamis. How about when you or I find one, we meet back here and try it. Somewhat scientific not-so-scientific try to see what happens. I'm all for it!

Old 10-21-2005 | 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

YEA didn't really take into concideration the 60% springs. Kind of balances it out, stiffer springs + hydro easy pull lever= stock feeling clutch pull!! My magura made my 60%s and my new 80%s pull like the stock cable. Try these without a magura!! well you could go back to stock springs and the magura,, that should be easier to pull my 2cts

Old 10-21-2005 | 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

I found a scale that is more on the precise side. I will try it out and post the results, you can look it up when you return.
Glamis??? wish I could go [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] but too much to do.

Old 10-21-2005 | 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Johny when did you get your quad back???? I thought someone had taken it off your hands without your permission......

Quick Reply: My new Magura Hydr. Clutch for the Bomb....