CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Has anyone compared a King Quad 700 to an Outty 800?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone compared a King Quad 700 to an Outty 800?

I am very intrigued by the Outlander 800. I am looking for an honest opinion of the Bomb 800 vs. the King Quad 700. I know the Outty is faster but I would like to know how they compare other than that. I have read nothing but great reviews except for one that said the Outty 800 wanted to come over on you on steep climbs. I would like to hear from those that have ridden both.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

Look at the suzuki forum. There was just a thread about 5+ pages long with people arguing about that two. Good reading I must say.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

The King quad is classifed and I quote by a regional manager of Suzuki, " it is a mild mannered 700". Nice machine but lacks power for a 700, very slow out of the hole, nice handling, very stable. In order to boost it up where it should be you have to pipe it, power commander, clutch kit. So about $1200 later you have power close to a 700 Kawasaki.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I owned the KQ for a year.A VERY nice ATV,BUT,its NOT in the same league as the new Bomb 800..The Bomb will SMOKE a KQ in an all out drag race and it rides just as good IMO.I have a new Bomb 800 on order.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

I currently own both the king quad and the 800 outlander. They are both great machines in their own right. I've had the king quad for nearly a year and think it is a great machine. Yes I had the reverse gear go out with only 15 miles on the odometer, but my dealer had me up and running with the new bearing fix and new cdi box in less than 4 days. After riding both the machines back to back extensively in the mountains and trails you learn the different personalities of each of them.

Obviously, the Outlander has way more power. At first I didn't really notice the huge power of the outty while just putzing around the trails. After putting about 100 miles on it I decided to open her wide open....oh my God....I was doubling with my six year old son in 4wd High range at a stand still, on a gravel road when I went full throttle and all of a sudden all four of my tires spinning violently and then I started doing a wheelie. I have been riding quads for just over ten years and owned just about all the big bores and have never had "thrust" like that. I thought the marketing guys at BRP were full of sh.. when they said the outlander had 54% more power than the king quad. They weren't joking.

The outlander has much better engine braking, side-hill stability, and I like that the 4 wheel locking mechanism is automatic rather than having to stop and manually locking it. As far as agressive hill climbing in the mountains, they both do well. I find both of them to be well "planted" if the rider does his part by leaning forward and being careful with throttle input. With the outlander you will have to back off the throttle because it has so much power. With I the king quad you just have to go deeper in the throttle.

There is only one area where I believe the kinq quad to be better than the outty. For normal cruising down trails I find the Outty's gearing way to low. At about 20 mph in high range the motor is always "working" or "screaming" According to the tach it is about 3300rpm. For comparison the kinq quad in high range is just "loafing" or "idling" down the trail. I know this might be a little picky but I do find it annoying. It reminds me of what my kawasaki 700 did. I guess my old rincon spoiled me with the effortless trail riding.

I think both of these quads are great. One thing I haven't mentioned is the $2,000.00 Canadian price between the two. If the ultimate dollar is your guide obviously the King Quad is the way to go. If not the 3 year warranty on the outlander 800 is great and that V-twin power and sound is hard to beat.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RonM
The King quad is classifed and I quote by a regional manager of Suzuki, " it is a mild mannered 700". Nice machine but lacks power for a 700, very slow out of the hole, nice handling, very stable. In order to boost it up where it should be you have to pipe it, power commander, clutch kit. So about $1200 later you have power close to a 700 Kawasaki.
Are you kidding me, what 700 class quad is he comparing the King Quad (single-cyl) to, surely not a Polaris 700 or Grizzly 660, the KQ smokes them after 5mph, and the Kawasaki Prarie 700 is a V-twin so it obviously has more low end grunt. King quad's entire powerband will be better than the Prarie 700 after a new ECM comes out ($300) to replace Suzuki's detuned one from the factory.

Why would a manager of Suzuki say that!?? I find that hard to believe. If he did say that he needs to be fired, doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lyle1
I currently own both the king quad and the 800 outlander. They are both great machines in their own right. I've had the king quad for nearly a year and think it is a great machine. Yes I had the reverse gear go out with only 15 miles on the odometer, but my dealer had me up and running with the new bearing fix and new cdi box in less than 4 days. After riding both the machines back to back extensively in the mountains and trails you learn the different personalities of each of them.

Obviously, the Outlander has way more power. At first I didn't really notice the huge power of the outty while just putzing around the trails. After putting about 100 miles on it I decided to open her wide open....oh my God....I was doubling with my six year old son in 4wd High range at a stand still, on a gravel road when I went full throttle and all of a sudden all four of my tires spinning violently and then I started doing a wheelie. I have been riding quads for just over ten years and owned just about all the big bores and have never had "thrust" like that. I thought the marketing guys at BRP were full of sh.. when they said the outlander had 54% more power than the king quad. They weren't joking.

The outlander has much better engine braking, side-hill stability, and I like that the 4 wheel locking mechanism is automatic rather than having to stop and manually locking it. As far as agressive hill climbing in the mountains, they both do well. I find both of them to be well "planted" if the rider does his part by leaning forward and being careful with throttle input. With the outlander you will have to back off the throttle because it has so much power. With I the king quad you just have to go deeper in the throttle.

There is only one area where I believe the kinq quad to be better than the outty. For normal cruising down trails I find the Outty's gearing way to low. At about 20 mph in high range the motor is always "working" or "screaming" According to the tach it is about 3300rpm. For comparison the kinq quad in high range is just "loafing" or "idling" down the trail. I know this might be a little picky but I do find it annoying. It reminds me of what my kawasaki 700 did. I guess my old rincon spoiled me with the effortless trail riding.

I think both of these quads are great. One thing I haven't mentioned is the $2,000.00 Canadian price between the two. If the ultimate dollar is your guide obviously the King Quad is the way to go. If not the 3 year warranty on the outlander 800 is great and that V-twin power and sound is hard to beat.
lyle1: This is exactly the kind of help I was wanting, someone who owns both. One guy on Highlifter forum thought the Outlander felt like it was going to come over on top of you on very steep hills. Have you noticed this? Which is quieter? Which handles better, and which is more fun? Thanks

Old 10-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Between Myself and my father we have the top machines covered. Prairries, Kq's , use to have a brute 750, I am sure some fokes around hear might remember what happened to it. I recently traded my Poalaris 800 for my Outlander 800. The Outlander for the most part is everthing they tout it to be. Its very smooth almost Polaris smooth but with allot more stability. I read that same deal about that guy saying they want to tip over backwards up steep hills, but come on give me a break its only second to the prairrie in stabilty IMO. Any machine will tip over backwards on you if ride it up to steep of a hill, It does not matter what machine you are on. Its the off camber situations that I look for a machine to have all the stability I can get, I think the Outy is top notch in stabilty. Its the only IRS quad I have ever had that made powersliding a breez, not quite as easy as the Praries but its not hard to kick that a$$ end around at will on the New Outy its really a blast to ride. Its the best all around machine I have ever been on. As far as I know my father is planning to trade his KQ off already to get one of these new Outy's. I know the KQ is a nice machine but The description that the regional Suzuki rep. gave of the KQ was spot on in my opinion. That is exactly what I have been saying ever sence last fall when we got ours. The KQ has always been just a mid pack kinda so, so machine to me. I still prefer to ride a prairie over a KQ, I would likely opt for the new Honda 700 EFI before I would go the KQ rout. The KQ is nice but that is about it. The BF handles like crap untill you spend the bucks on a all new suspension and wheels and radial tires. By the time you do all that you still need allot of engine modds to have a prayer of hanging with the Outy. After doing all that you end up with more money in the BF750 than you would have if you had just bought the Outy in the first place.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

My experience with the 800 has been excellent climbing steep hills. I don't find it wanting to come over at all. You just have to use the throttle appropriatley, as it has so much power you might go off course by accident.
It also handles the bumps better than the king quad....more like a polaris, but with less body lean.
If you want a fun quad the BRP is hard to beat, lots of power, good handling, great engine braking, and a great plush ride. As with getting one of the best quads on the market, the downside as usual is $$$$$$.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Range Rover

Hey Lyle, PM on what you paid for both, I'm in the market for a set like yours...

Quick Reply: Has anyone compared a King Quad 700 to an Outty 800?