CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dumont halloween..

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumont halloween..

Originally posted by: Majorecho
vegas - sorry to hear you lost the motor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] sounds like it's time to throw a gixxer motor in the frame.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] there you go Al! sorry to hear of your troubles

Old 10-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: Majorecho
vegas - sorry to hear you lost the motor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] sounds like it's time to throw a gixxer motor in the frame.
Curtis, maybe if you lived down here I would. Remember, I can't do this stuff myself.

I know where I can get a 750 for a good price, but even then the cost of the labor is really more than I want to sink into this thing after all the money I've already spent over the years.

By the way, what we found while messing with the bike at night, was that we could see the stator wires arching over to the engine and exhaust. obviously I had a short in at least one of the wires.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sorry to hear that Al.

What went on the motor?

I feel your pain. . . unfortunately I've been there!

Old 10-31-2005, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

So when ya got home you tore into it Al?
Does that mean it wasn't just a bad stator?

I got to run aginst Mario's 2.5 mid morning on Friday. All I can say is unbelievable!! He was easily just as far ahead of me on this 2.5 as he was on his 720. Great Job to all that hand a hand on that motor.

Unfortunatley for me. Friday afternoon in front of camp I saw a raptor 700 and a yfz drag racing on the flats. So i joined in. No problem there. But there was a DS on a trailer from there camp. They guy motions me over. And it was Steve a friend of Mario's that I met at the hill earlier. His DS looked exactly like Mario's drag pipe and all. So we line up and go. Neck and neck all the way. Even through the wheelies. All 4 of them. On the last wheelie when I brough her back down my left front tie rod stapped. Lucky for me she rolled straight and I got the DS stopped without flipping all over the place. Al offered me one of his and i tried it. But then realized that his are stock and mine are +2 wider. Thanks for the try Al.
Now all I gotta do is find the reciet for these things. ASR says lifetime warranty. After this though im not sure who's life they mean. Mine or theirs.

Grat Job Mario...and good to see you and Magarate again. Heal up dude!! the fun is just getting started.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Damn, was it a Haunted Halloween at Dumont or what? Lots of DS' breaking. I also met Steve, and was looking forward to meeting some forum members, but of the 8 or 9 DS owners I met and talked to none of them were from here. I raced Steve a few times before and after his NOS broke as well as some of the younger guys that seemed to be coming out of the woodwrk at Comp. Was told that Mario desentigrated a front end and departed early, and never met up with Larry. Maybe next time...
I ran into one fellow at the bottom of a hill who was looking all around and under his DS, stopped to help and noticed he was holding a part and had no idea what it was or where it went. His chain roller had split perfectly in half, didn't look like it had much wear on it at all. Found another guy looking distraught and his roller had also shattered. He just heard pieces flying around and didn't know what to look for. Just didn't want to do more damage.
I may have recruited several new members, we'll see in the next few days.

Got the sickest feeling I've ever had in my life Saturday night at Comp. Running and racing and cruising around and lost track of my son for around an hour. Noticed all of the commotion on the lower part of the hill and didn't want to get in the way as it seemed alot of people were doing, but when the crowd cleared some and I saw two yellow DS' I thought my son may have stopped to help and I started heading that way. Then I see the third 2000 that didn't look so good and my heart just sank. Got through the crowd some and realized it wasn't my boy. It was somebodys son though, and I hope he is going to be okay. Took the LifeFlight helicopter over two hours after the accident to show up. Anyone on here know the gentleman or how he's doing? I believe his name was Tony or Tommy.

Hope ya'll had as good of a time as we did. I'm sore as Hell, but that's just part of getting old I guess. Worth every ounce of pain.

Now I've got to go figure out what happend to my 03. Boiled over Sunday and the fan quit. No red light or any indication of a problem til then.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:20 PM
MTX
Pro Rider

Got back yesterday, was a fun weekend, perfect weather, was on my blue YFZ, good racing, only saw couple DS's. Were selling ours if anyones intersted, 03 BAJA, making room for a 06 YFZ..

Old 10-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't opened it yet, But when I asked Dave to come see the sparks that were coming from the stator wires,and I fired the Pig up, he immediatly said shut it down.

There was loud knocking on the low end.

He says something in the crank is gone, probably the bearing.

Larry heard that thing before it went and the word he used to describe it at that time was tight.

It would not rev worth a crap.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Yep at the hill it did sound like the motor was tightening up. Sounded just like mine did right before the crank froze up. But yours seemed to loosen up if thats what was actually happening anyway. After it set and you charged the battery. So it started to look like you may have gotten lucky and it wasn't what I thought at first. Now it doesn't sound like I was that far off. Sorry to hear that Al. Might not be the crank though dude. Pull the mag cover and see if there is anything rolling around in there. Like a BOLT!! sorry Al I couldn't resist. But seriously. Have a look before you condem her to parts.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Al,

if it is knocking it maybe to far gone, but if you can start the engine, take off the oil cap, you should be able to see the oil flowing from the top of the oil-tank. if you dont, then your return oil pump is not working. As you know both oil pumps run off of the Clutch basket. At Aledo a couple years back, I noticed my quad not revving out, and then noticed the red oil light. I imediatley shut it down , then did this test, sure enough no oil was returning to the oil tank. I first thought that I was going to have to split the cases, but firsted I noticed the plastic gear that connects to the return oil pump had its CLIP come off and the gear jumped off the other gear,and quit turning. I replaced the clip and washer and it was as good as new again. I got lucky and didnt hurt the crank or the bearing.

Bigger.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I drained the oil a little while ago.

As some of you know this is my 3rd blown engine.

Lets put it this way, there was more scrap metal on the drain plug magnet then there was when I had the oil line fall off.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I will not rebuild this engine.

The only thing that will keep me from parting it out would be a street bike motor conversion.

All depends on how much I can get it done for.

I will make up my mind by the weekend.

Big Mike, if you read this, I need someone to tear my engine apart and tell me what's trashed and what I can sell.

I don't want to sell anyone any junk.

Bud, I will need you to test my RWR cdi and my 2 MSD's to find out if they work or not.

Quick Reply: Dumont halloween..