CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Child dies @ dumont due to idiot!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child dies @ dumont due to idiot!!!

Originally posted by: ThePhantomRider
I remember going to the dunes in the early 80's, kids could ride around camp all day long and not have anyone come within 100 yards of their position. Now we have to make camp large enough to keep them inside the ring till they are old enough to handle themselves outside. And one day, that almost failed when a dude ripped through our camp on his CR 250....bad news for him was the fact that he was camped near by, and 15 of us decided to pay that foker a visit...needless to say, he and his other buddies decided to leave within the hour.
I've seen too many accidents and deaths due to stupidity. People complain about the added Law Enforcement presence, but since the clamp down, the idiots have begun to be weeded out. I'll take a little more law restriction (If they also open more riding area) in exchange for more safety for all, because when you see Life Flight land [b]on top[?/B] of Test, Comp or Olds Hill (Take your Pick) because someone in a 400hp buggy doesn't know what he's doing and nails a crowd of people, then you realize that limits have been crossed..

TPR

ECHO THAT!

Old 11-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child dies @ dumont due to idiot!!!

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Originally posted by: SCOUNDREL
Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Cammer,

The problem is that people forget the keep the traffic rules. If you are in a blind spot, on a dune (Either side) and you are going up it, find the center of the dune, and keep to the right. That only works if both people on either side do it. In your case, I don't think you can call either person an idiot. You have a rail on one side going up a dune, and a quad riders going up the other side. You cant see the flags because the dune is in the way. KEEP TO THE RIGHT. Thank God nobody got seriously hurt in that one.

I would have to disagree Mark. Just by virtue of the fact the sand rail, and I quote "came over a razor and landed on top of three riders coming up the other side" would tell me at the very least the guy driving was not taking into account he was not the only one on the dune. To be airborne as you go over a razor back is plain stupidity unless you know for a fact nobody is on the other side and you have a spotter to ensure there is a safety margin if there is someone on the other side. I think we've all seen sand rails running horizontally in the center of a sand dune on only two wheels.!!.....Idiot is the correct term in my opinion.

Cammer, since your friend WAS seriously hurt we will keep him and his family in our thoughts....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I stand corrected. I thought they met at the crest of the dune. If the rail wants to jump, they should have a spotter. As far as sandrails running horizontally on the side of the dunes, on two wheels - I think you've seen quads, two-wheelers, as well as sand rails do that. The only problem with Sand Rails is that some of them cant see where they are going when they do that. There are some that can. My personal view is if you cant see where you are going, why do it?

Cammer, I hope your friend gets better soon.

I wasn't there. . . . but, if the rail was on the main hill, he wasn't jumping. That's far to sharp of a razor to jump. Simply cresting the dune by either rail, quad or bike is dangerous but, can't be blamed on anyone.

I agree that PARKING in blind-spots is a very bad idea BUT, no matter what there are blind spots and avoid them all you can but, sometimes they are unavoidable. That doesn't give the other person the right to power over a rise and hit you.

Now, I have to admit. . . I've been the victum and the evil person on this.
I got hit by a Sand Rail that came over a rise when I was passing through a low spot. He was "on-it" and shouldn't have been. I was in a low spot I should have tried harder to avoid but, regardless, doesn't give the rail a right to hit me.

On the other end. . .
At Pismo I like riding towards the ocean and jumping the dunes. Usually you can see the otherside as they are gently sloped but, when we are riding like that, the first rider should ease over the dune as a spotter allowing those following him to hit the jumps. I'm definitely not flying over these just saying we could be a little more careful. I doubt anyone on here could argue they couldn't be more careful as well.