CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

wheres the best place to get a crank rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheres the best place to get a crank rebuilt?

Originally posted by: crackerJack
I think it was overboost. Major what do you think? The spacer was torn up at the rod attachment. Bud also noticed that with the full pipe he was runing alot higher boost numbers without changing the waste gate at all. The numbers would continue to creep as long as the throttle was held. I am thinking the full pipe is not allowling enough relief to the waste gate. With the drag pipe that I was running I never saw boost over 9lbs. It was after he switched my bike to the full pipe that the problems with the boost started.

Curtis, you are not to good for turbo question now that you have a N/A bike, are ya??????
I just changed to the full pipe to bring down the noise a bit and the boost ran up to 14lbs!!! I used a Boost gauge with a nice reducer , VERY readable, smooth, does not "flutter".. Bike ran PERFECT untill it reached boost, then bad news??

Old 11-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Originally posted by: budtbaar
Originally posted by: MisterHP
Is it oiling or detnation??
Detination has been a problem, Burnt a valve pretty bad, the cause , over boost 14lbs. WAY TO MUCH! FOR THE FUEL MAP I HAVE, Won't do that again!!!
Could detination cause crank/ rod failure?? I don't think so, maybe ,?/ if so explain? Looks like plain old friction heat/oiling problem???

thanks bud

Ps Good to talk to Randal today. Ordered rod & parts from u guys today
Yes I kinda posed that question to open up some discussion on the subject. Detnation is ALWAYS the cause of rod bearing failure unless your oil pump went out or you just starved the crank with a stopped up oil screen or something. Detnation is an explosion in the cylinder before the piston reaches TDC, this hydraulics the cylinder and forces thousands of psi against the rod bearing causing the oil wedge to be lost and metal to metal contact is made and its all down hill from there. The main cause of detnation is lean fuel mixtures or low octane. If you are runnin a turbo you need to be on 118octane when running gas.

14pounds is not that much boost. You air/fuel ratio must be way off. I would get to a dyno and get the A/F under control or this will happen again.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: budtbaar
Is it oiling or detnation??
Detination has been a problem, Burnt a valve pretty bad, the cause , over boost 14lbs. WAY TO MUCH! FOR THE FUEL MAP I HAVE, Won't do that again!!!
Could detination cause crank/ rod failure?? I don't think so, maybe ,?/ if so explain? Looks like plain old friction heat/oiling problem???

thanks bud

Ps Good to talk to Randal today. Ordered rod & parts from u guys today
Yes I kinda posed that question to open up some discussion on the subject. Detnation is ALWAYS the cause of rod bearing failure unless your oil pump went out or you just starved the crank with a stopped up oil screen or something. Detnation is an explosion in the cylinder before the piston reaches TDC, this hydraulics the cylinder and forces thousands of psi against the rod bearing causing the oil wedge to be lost and metal to metal contact is made and its all down hill from there. The main cause of detnation is lean fuel mixtures or low octane. If you are runnin a turbo you need to be on 118octane when running gas.

14pounds is not that much boost. You air/fuel ratio must be way off. I would get to a dyno and get the A/F under control or this will happen again.

Thanks!! Great Info> been running methanol a/f gauge has been reading a bit lean but not too bad, ??? BUT GET THIS!! Tore her down and found the mag keyway pin sheered in half!!! mag probably shifted position changing the TIMING TOO ADVANCED?!! Who knows for how long!! AIN'T THAT A BIT*H?!! Can't wait to get her back together now!!

Old 11-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

A sheared flywheel key is another sign of detnation. When you get it together have Kelly dyno tune it so your not guessing at the A/F ratio.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

A sheared flywheel key is another sign of detnation. When you get it together have Kelly dyno tune it so your not guessing at the A/F ratio.
For what i'm going through, and have been through the 6 hour drive sounds better and better I still have the 14lbs of boost situation with the single pipe. Justin says the bike never went over 9lbs of boost with drag pipe THAT WILL BE GOING BACK ON THE BIKE!! . I'm thinking fuel map or "self" learn just can't keep up with the boost difference? OR Maybe it's the timing thing??!! I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT THOUGH!! ( fingers crossed)

bUD

Old 11-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A place that has been good to me is Northern Crackshaft in Thief River Falls Minnesota . I know most of what they do is two stroke snowmobiles, but I would at least check them out.