CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rectifier problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rectifier problem?

I had been riding the other day for about a half an hour when all of a sudden the ole DS started cracking and popping when I let off the throttle. When I came to a stop, she just died. I had to pull start it before all of this because the battery was dead, and after it died she didn't have enough juice to start again. I bought a new battery and it would start but not idle, still had the backfiring. I adjusted on the air fuel screw and idle scew and thought the problem was solved, it ran great. About a half an hour later, the same thing started happening again. The battery will start it, but it won't idle, and backfires like crazy. The bike seems to run fine at WOT, and will idle with the choke on. I can't see were this would be a carb problem, I have made no changes to the bike and have had it set up like this for two years with no problems. Could this be a bad rectifier? Any suggestions?

Old 11-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

you can try running it with the lights on, i had reg problems and they were similiar to yours..

someone suggested the lights on and it worked and it ran fine for a little while. i replaced the stock reg with a procomm one and it has been great... doesnt add any noticable increase in hp but keeps the voltage nice...it has been great...this maybe the only good thing to come from procomm --LOL

let me know if this helps or not, then we can try some other stuff.. there is also another post recently on this and acesisblack had a few suggestions also. i will find it and let you know if this doesnt work!

Old 11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds to me like the pilot circuit, most likly the pilot jet is plugged. The backfire at closed throttle and the no idle point to it.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

I had a similar problem, that eventually got so bad the bike would hardly run. I initially thought it was a jetting/carb issue, and tore into my carb several times. I then thought it was a possible electrical issue, and searched all over the bike. After quite a few months, and ruined rides later, I diagnosed the problem to be the rectifier using the headlight method. I then put a BMW rectifer on, and haven't had any problems since.
Hopefully it is your rectifer, as it can be easily, and cheaply replaced.
J.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

ace is not black! chirochris. I am 100% all white meat. lol
Coyoteman, pull up my thread on this very subject. Your problem resembles mine quite a bit. We all thought it was valves/air/fuel, but it turned out to be the regulator/rectifier. Picked one up off of eBay for $15 and not had a problem since. PM me if you need any of the gory details.
Good Luck
"aceisback"

Old 11-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

acesis BIG AND BLACK---LOL

i did that last time--sorry man, but i did put him on to your thread