CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

720 Big Bore blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 06:01 PM
amd
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 720 Big Bore blown head gasket

If you were running high octane fuel I dont see how it could be the cdi. Detonation will blow a head gasket. It looks like that is what tvi is saying, that the rwr cdi has to much advance and caused detonation and blew the gasket. I have never seen any bike blow a head gasket to due the timing being to advanced as long as it was running race fuel. The rwr cdi had nothing to do with your blown head gasket.

Old 11-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Originally posted by: BigDaddy331
Well if it's the RWR CDI then I'm 5ft tall. I have an HPR 730 and running a RWR CDI, and for good measure run a 25 shot of Juice. NO WORRIES here bro.

I recently took a motor out that blew a head gasket and broke a crank. I am almost positive that the motor hydroliced and snapped the crank. The head is now worped and the motor is pretty muched trashed. Three guess - TVI 720. Now I realize the motor had been worked hard, but I kind of think that were there is smoke there is fire. The 720 have had many problems in this area from the very beginning. Time to spend half as much and get 10 more CC's

HPR730 - NO SLEEVE!!!!

Good luck

Mike, That one wasnt a TVI. The sleeve we used actually had to be sank in the cylinder properly to hold without sinking, we had someone do it but I forgot who, It was actually the sleeve from Samcoes first kit (105.5mm)...It held up for 1 and a half years until I popped the head gasket with nos and probably some type of detonation or error on my part. If everything is surfaced properly the sleeve actually ran nice and cool. I used the o-ring sleeve with the tripple metal gasket. The copper sleeve never could work right for us, BUT has worked well for others like sandman.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

my mistake.... reguardless on who's sleeve it was, timing advance should not pop a motor in a naturally aspirated situation. Your motor popped because you let a head gasket go too long and it hydrauliced. Can to much timing hurt a motor? yes, but the piston will fail far before the head pops due to pre-ignition.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was told that RW cdi's did advance the curve farther than any other. TVI sold us the MSD box apparently to solve the head gasket problem. I'am not saying TVI is bad, it just didnt seem right that we had to spend the additional money to repair the blown head gasket. Please tell me if paying the additional seems fair or am I out in left field on this issue. Me and my brother had already bought three bikes from Gary before having the Big Bore kits done. I just think Gary should have worked with us on this issue ??????????????????

Old 11-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

I know that Gary was one of the guys pushing for MSD to make a CDI for the DS. And that he is one of the distributers for them. But dang....i would never of thought I would hear/read Gary say what your telling us. rest assured that the MSD will NOT correct your head gasket issue and the RWR cdi is not the cause either.
I agree that you should not have had to spend money to correct a leaky head gasket after just a few minuites of ride time. AND your bro's did the same thing from the same builder. Evryone here knows the issues that Gary was having sealing his 720 kits. So obviously so does he. So to charge you for his labor is just wrong. IMHO
Purchasing the MSD was a good purchase though. You know have a selection of timing curvs.
I hope your head stays sealed now. But please don't believe that it was because of the MSD over the RWR cdi.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

well said Eagle

Old 11-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER
Originally posted by: BigDaddy331
Well if it's the RWR CDI then I'm 5ft tall. I have an HPR 730 and running a RWR CDI, and for good measure run a 25 shot of Juice. NO WORRIES here bro.

I recently took a motor out that blew a head gasket and broke a crank. I am almost positive that the motor hydroliced and snapped the crank. The head is now worped and the motor is pretty muched trashed. Three guess - TVI 720. Now I realize the motor had been worked hard, but I kind of think that were there is smoke there is fire. The 720 have had many problems in this area from the very beginning. Time to spend half as much and get 10 more CC's

HPR730 - NO SLEEVE!!!!

Good luck

Mike, That one wasnt a TVI. The sleeve we used actually had to be sank in the cylinder properly to hold without sinking, we had someone do it but I forgot who, It was actually the sleeve from Samcoes first kit (105.5mm)...It held up for 1 and a half years until I popped the head gasket with nos and probably some type of detonation or error on my part. If everything is surfaced properly the sleeve actually ran nice and cool. I used the o-ring sleeve with the tripple metal gasket. The copper sleeve never could work right for us, BUT has worked well for others like sandman.
Mario, I talked to Sandman friday and he has not been riding lately cuz of a blown head gasket LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2005, 01:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

I said copper sleeve and I meant copper head gasket.

Bomber, Then strike that!!lol How has he been?

Old 11-14-2005, 02:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bill is good, I talk to him every couple weeks since he forgot about the forums!!!

Old 11-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Mario, you good for a day during the Thanksgiving break?

Quick Reply: 720 Big Bore blown head gasket