CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

720 Big Bore blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 720 Big Bore blown head gasket

Originally posted by: thebigshow
Originally posted by: DuneStalker
Ok..I have heard a few people om here complaining about head gaskets. Well I have a 2001 ds. I tore down last winter and installed a TVI 720 motor. I am using tvi's race head with web 109 cams, twin 39 carbs ( Thanks Big show ) with MSD. I am also set for NOS.
I have only had one problem with this set up. The MSd was bad would not let me rev over 7200 prm. Other than that. My motor had ran perfect. I do run 110 fuel at all times. My head gasket is copper and the cylinder has an O ring installed in it
Entomer..Just so you know. when i put my ds on the dyno to find out what was wrong with it. I was making 65 hp at 7200 prms. I would call that a very big improvment over stock.
I do need to go back to the dyno and see what i can get now that i shift at 9000.
Ok thats my 2 cents
i have the identical set-up as u except for the carb and the cdi...i have been running 110 octane with the rwr cdi, when i looked at my piston and it was dark but didnt have any salt and pepper marks on it..dunno, maybe i need to look at it a bit closer. there has to be a reason why some fail and others can push nos through them, maybe it is the fuel and timing....as for the horsepower comment , i agree with u a 100 %, ill put my TVI 720 numbers up against any other 720/730 out there...as a matter of fact, ill hand SANDBOMBER his a$$ in a drag!! ( lol, ok im might got a LITTLE carried away with that one)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] he he he ya never know till ya line um up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok..I have heard a few people om here complaining about head gaskets. Well I have a 2001 ds. I tore down last winter and installed a TVI 720 motor. I am using tvi's race head with web 109 cams, twin 39 carbs ( Thanks Big show ) with MSD. I am also set for NOS.
I have only had one problem with this set up. The MSd was bad would not let me rev over 7200 prm. Other than that. My motor had ran perfect. I do run 110 fuel at all times. My head gasket is copper and the cylinder has an O ring installed in it
Entomer..Just so you know. when i put my ds on the dyno to find out what was wrong with it. I was making 65 hp at 7200 prms. I would call that a very big improvment over stock.
I do need to go back to the dyno and see what i can get now that i shift at 9000.
Ok thats my 2 cents
i have the identical set-up as u except for the carb and the cdi...i have been running 110 octane with the rwr cdi, when i looked at my piston and it was dark but didnt have any salt and pepper marks on it..dunno, maybe i need to look at it a bit closer. there has to be a reason why some fail and others can push nos through them, maybe it is the fuel and timing....as for the horsepower comment , i agree with u a 100 %, ill put my TVI 720 numbers up against any other 720/730 out there...as a matter of fact, ill hand SANDBOMBER his a$$ in a drag!! ( lol, ok im might got a LITTLE carried away with that one)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Yeah Big Man, I think you got a little carried away with that statement, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MisterHP
Country, detnation will find the weakest link and thats what goes first.

There was a dyno shoot out a few years back with some major V-8 engine builders and one of the rules was 93 octane pump gas would be run as an equalizer. I was quite amazed at the compression ratio's they were running. So I started studying to find out how they were doing it. I found out cylinder pressure is WAY more effective than static compression. The builders used giant camshafts and ports for high rpm so they could make good horsepower and figured out they were giving up hugh amounts of cylinder pressure because of duration so they started bringing up the compression. Even on pump gas one builder was up to 15:1 compression with no signs of detnation. Most of the other builders were around 12 or 13:1.

Compression is what everybody talks about but cylinder pressure is where the horsepower is at and the way you get it is with porting and camshaft timing. I can make way more cylinder pressure with a good port job than by putting a high compression piston in. Now give me more compression and I can give you better cams that will make power higher in the rpm range. IT'S ALL ABOUT MATCHED COMPONENT'S!

Thanks Eric!

Old 11-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sandbomber
Ok thats my 2 cents
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] he he he ya never know till ya line um up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

lol...i might have to borrow scotts spiderbucket.....and im not sure if its designed to hold as much sand as you will be throwing...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2005, 02:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Now thats funny I dont care who ya are!!!! (except scott LOL) sorry choose!!!!!!!!! how luvs ya LOL

Old 11-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok thats my 2 cents

lol...i might have to borrow scotts spiderbucket.....and im not sure if its designed to hold as much sand as you will be throwing...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Hahaha,hehehe,lol,lol,lol! Yeah, that is funny, I dont care who you are. I like that. We will see how much sand you (THEBIGSHOW) can sling at the spiderbucket. Its gonna be kind hard to fill it up with sand when your running behind, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: choosetolose04
Ok thats my 2 cents

Hahaha,hehehe,lol,lol,lol! Yeah, that is funny, I dont care who you are. I like that. We will see how much sand you (THEBIGSHOW) can sling at the spiderbucket. Its gonna be kind hard to fill it up with sand when your running behind, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! i figured that would get your attention..lol...

Old 11-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MisterHP
Country, detnation will find the weakest link and thats what goes first.There was a dyno shoot out a few years back with some major V-8 engine builders and one of the rules was 93 octane pump gas would be run as an equalizer. I was quite amazed at the compression ratio's they were running. So I started studying to find out how they were doing it. I found out cylinder pressure is WAY more effective than static compression. The builders used giant camshafts and ports for high rpm so they could make good horsepower and figured out they were giving up hugh amounts of cylinder pressure because of duration so they started bringing up the compression. Even on pump gas one builder was up to 15:1 compression with no signs of detnation. Most of the other builders were around 12 or 13:1.Compression is what everybody talks about but cylinder pressure is where the horsepower is at and the way you get it is with porting and camshaft timing. I can make way more cylinder pressure with a good port job than by putting a high compression piston in. Now give me more compression and I can give you better cams that will make power higher in the rpm range. IT'S ALL ABOUT MATCHED COMPONENT'S!
Excellent post!

Old 06-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

BIGBOO, whats the latest and greatest on your 720?

Old 06-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

O-ring your set-ups and blown head-gasket failures will cease to exist unless you go wild with power additives or have sleeves moving around, the mls cometic is a good short-term fix and may last some builds a good while, but if the ponies are being put out, a stainless o-ring smashed into a copper gasket is a better solution for high h/p motors.