CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

JE 720 components?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JE 720 components?

I think you should be looking at a Ron Wood stage II or equally set-up kit.

Don't bore the jug if you don't need to. You'll get more of a return on different set-ups.

Stick with the stock bore and get a high compression piston and cams. For what you are doing you'll have plenty of power and save boat loads of cash over a 720/730 set-up.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

If you are going to spend 800 I's say buy the lectron, and maybe a vortex box. There are some who made it ok on the re-sleave, but those who didn't...seems they prayed everytime they went on a ride trying to keep the leaks away. Or you could just put in the HPR 14:1 and watch for a used carb to go across.
Justin

Old 11-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, If your talking about trying to sqeeze all the horsepower out of $800 then I think your best bet would be a TM 45 with a ported intake and a cdi or maybe some cams in the place of the cdi. Now that should be quite a difference over stock. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Well I just called LA Sleeve they quoted $285.00 for 105mm sleeve, you send your jug to them to have it installed I havent heard anything bad about them yet.
You will still need a piston, JE has em for $150.00, and again you need to bore the case, and the head and require gaskets and assembly, if your that far into it might as well get cams also......you might be able to get the whole motor done for $1500. thats not too bad, when you think just the jug and piston combo is $1700.00 bucks from Pami and MR HP.
And thats what a toy is all about, fix it up and play, not drain the wallet.

see the posting on this topic

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/360822.cfm

Old 11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

For $800 bucks, I would stick to the Lectron hv46 with the ported intake. It will be a step in the right direction that will give you noticable improvement. Save some more money and build a master plan by doing research on what work best. When you have another $400 - $500 buy a good programmable ignition. If you do this it doesn't matter whether you go big bore or race head or hi compression. You are ready for anything and you haven't gone backwards.

BTW, I am a firm believer in the Lectrons. I know of one guy with the TM45 that is trying to keep a thumb throttle instead of converting over to a twist. Even with the lighter carb springs he found online, it is way stiff. The Lectron with the Moose thumb throttle is smooth and high quality.......... Not to mention the hv46 ways half what a TM45 does and makes better power. I'm sure you have all seen the dyno testing on www.hpresearch.net comparing these two.

Good Luck. It may take years to get it exactly the way you want it.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

Wow, talk about hospitality! Thanks again for your info, everyone.

Thanks for the link, erbeds, it sounds like there are a few too many shady mechanics out there for the DS. It is kinda scary.

I think choosetolose has it right: buy a carb, piston, ported intake manifold (would I be able to do this myself?), cams, and when I get the funds an ignition.

I do like how you are thinking, by getting a carb that will work in the future with a big bore kit, that sounds like a smart move. But now the question is which carb should I get? I do plan to get a big bore in the future (probably Mr. HP through everyone's reccomendation) so what size and type should I get? And what is the deal with the accelerator pumps? Why aren't they installed on every carb? I used my accelerator pump in lieu of the choke on my old 300EX and the performance at WOT was great for a 300EX.

Also, when I get a new stock bore piston, what do I have to do? Do I have to size the rings or "de-glaze" or anything? I should probably buy some telescoping mics to check the cylinder, right?

Honestly, the way this bike is right now it feels pretty good. I can be sitting on the tank in first through third gears and just roll on into a wheelie. I really don't have a problem with hitting the rev limiter either, it is really just done making power at that point.

How does the RWR stuff compare to HPR? Quality, performance? The dyno comparison is not up yet on the HPR site.

Sorry about all of the questions, but I haven't really found the answers in my searches.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, Its kinda like this....you said that you have an $800 budget right now. All your going to get is the 48HV Lectron carb kit for that price. Now that will include your ported intake and Moose throttle. But, thats not going to be the biggest bang for your buck if that is where your stopping. Now your talking about going bigbore, etc,etc,etc! This will play a factor into what direction that your looking to go. You will have several opinions as to whats the best carb to run with your setup. I say if your on a tight budget, get the TM48 if your looking for bigbore in the future for trail riding. If your looking to spend some money on the bigbore in the future and money is no object then all I can tell you is that I run the 48HV Lectron kit, Vortex CDI & dragpipe all from HPR and I have have excellent "seat of the pants" excelleration. Im not going to call this a trail setup, because I drag it. So, Im sure others will chime in soon, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey, don't forget about fuel requirements. If you go higher compression than about 11.5:1 with a CDI advancing an additional 7 or so degrees, you will have to start mixing some quantity of $5 -$6 per gallon race gas in with your premium. More $$$$. I might have misunderstood, did you want to switch over to a twist throttle? If so the TM48 is cheaper than the Lectron hv48.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

The main reason a sleeve is risky is due to who actually sinks the sleeve in the right way at the right temperature.

Ive ran a sleeved JE 105.5 for 2 years with great success until I got to sprayin the nos and blew the gasket. Im Back to stockbore now and very happy.

I think a great package for the price is a tm 48mm run WITH snorkle tube and a high comp lighteweight Stockbore piston with a stock pipe and an endcap. OR a good slip on. (air in air out) You should be able to find used parts on this forum and people do some trading stuff in the garage section. I think Mr meaner had a great list of parts if I recall correctly. SOMEone had a LONG list of good stuff.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:16 PM
amd
Pro Rider

Annihilater you went back to stock bore? What happened to the 720 besides head gaskets?. What piston are you running in it now? You still sprayin it also.

Quick Reply: JE 720 components?