CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outy 800XT or 06 Rincon 680

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outy 800XT or 06 Rincon 680

Megan. One thing you should be aware of is the vulnerability of the frame. We have already ripped a 1 inch hole in ours and smashed it up at the front and at various places along the way after very easy riding; 10 hours. It’s very thin and easily damaged. The Achilles heel of the bomb I’d say. Do yourself a favor and add a full skid plate right away. There is a website on this somewhere as well. I have the link on my laptop, let me know if you need it.

Cache.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

I don't recommend buying a first year machine from any company or at least wait half a year. I bought the King Quad in June 05 and I didn't like it when problems started coming up. I never really experienced them but I heard about them on these forums and it bugged me a lot until they got resolved. And it doesn't matter how long their warranty is with it being a first year machine, they do not know all the Bomb 800's issue's yet, and when problems start coming up you'll have to wait a long time for them to figure it out, the thing's i've heard were stalling switching from 2wd to 4wd which doesn't sound so good to me, and the speedo needle messing up, but you never know this could be their only problems or it could be the start of a long list like most first year machines have.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Well I may be leaning towards the KQ again now just because my regualar dealer sells everything except for the Bomb and it is where we currently take Jeffs for service, parts, etc....If I go to my regular dealer I can trade in my TRX250EX, plus I bought a brand new pair of ITP Holeshot H-D tires that they will let my exchange for new tires on the new quad. I am aware of the filter issue w/ the KQ so I will upgrads asap. I am also aware of the fact that the Outlanders need skid Plates. I did research it they run from around $198-$500. I figure a $30 filter is a cheaper fix plus the KQ is alot cheaper and again then Jeff & I are just going to one place for both our quads and jet skis. I am going to go down there Monday and test ride one so we will see. Thanks everyone though for your help and I'll let ya know what I end up with. When Jeff and I are both ready to upgrade again though I still think that Bomb is my fav so maybe Jeff and I can get one together at that point[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] By then they should have all the bugs worked out. Now lets just hope my dealer still has the KQ in stock. Kingers Crossed.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Probably a good choice Megan, the KQ is proven, and voted best quad many times.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good luck with your purchase Megan....having the same dealer for all quads in a family is a good enough reason to stick with a brand. But if you want to leave your husband in the dust, go for the 800!
I am not worried about the first model year since I got the 5 year warranty. Everything will be taken care of. I have had no more problems than I had with my other two brands of ATV's.
Remember, while the 800 model is new, the Rotax 800 is not a new engine, it has been around awhile in other machines. And the Outlander has been out for a couple of years in the 400 model.....so this is not a machine without some testing and background. I have only seen one post where someone thought they got a lemon and from the sounds of it, that is what it was.....everyone else has loved the new 800. But, it is not the only machine out there and most brands are great ATV's.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

I did alot of research on the Ouuty too and only heard of one person as well who had alot of problems/ their machine. I reallly do wish my dealer sold it because I do like it best but life will just be easier & it is more practical to just go w/ the KQ. I'll probably be bummed though everytime I see an Outty out on the Trail[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure what you mean by it needs a skid plate? The bottom of the quad is flat and is designed like a ski, it will easily slide over most anything without getting hung up. As far as stalling switching between 2WD and 4WD?? Never read about that. I can understand your concern regarding having a dealer close, three hours is a long way to travel for service and parts.

THe ONLY reason I dont have an 800 is cause I already have four quads and in attempting to trade any of them the dealers almost wanted me to give them away.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

And it doesn't matter how long their warranty is with it being a first year machine, they do not know all the Bomb 800's issue's yet, and when problems start coming up you'll have to wait a long time for them to figure it out>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes and no. The Outlander model was first developed as a 400 and a 330. The 800 is basically the same quad, same technology and same research with only a bigger engine and some refinements.

The 800 is a twin 400, they used the same platform as the 400, same piston, same bore and stroke only there are two cylinders rather then one. Sure there had to be some changes to the engine and transmission but again, this is hardly a new machine from the ground up.

Your suspension is basically the same but reinforced up front, SST same, Visco Loc 4WD same.

I guess you could say those of us who have the 400/330's were the test market for the 800.

My Outlander has been rolled and ridden pretty hard, driven through rivers/creeks and mudholes deep enough I thought I was stuck for sure.........It has NEVER failed me. Never needed to be taken into the shop.

My only problem (and this applies to all my quads) is FLAT TIRES!!

I wouldn't worry too much about this being a new machine, it is and it isn't. Besides from what I've been hearing/reading, BRP is very dilligent about taking care of any concerns regarding this machine, word of mouth is your best advertising and they want to make sure all problems are handled promptly.

BTW, Megan, I seriously considered the KQ but opted for the Rincon. For me overall ride comfort was the most important factor.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

CaRider76,
If flats are your problem, have you tried Bighorns?
thats a stretch saying its the same engine just 2x, the V-twin is not just the 400 x2, Totally different motor. You can't compare the two like that. Two single cyl 400 slapped together doesn't make a V-twin 800.
I'll agree the motor is proven, through their sled technology however, not quads.

The suspension/chassis design may be based on the same technology, but combined with the added weight and power of the 800 motor again, a new monster. That I beam chasis may look like a big strong skid plate, but its not. You bend that (which has happened), you bend your frame, not a "skid". Degrading the integrity of the whole machine. The axles on that thing are the most vulnerable design I've ever seen. I wouldnt drive that thing 2 miles on a trail without putting FULL ARMOR on first.

If you guys think there is only one guy having troubles your misinformed, there are more. But overall way more positive then negative, as with most quads.

I've rode one, its a nice machine, but there isn't enough there for me to justify spending an extra $2000 over anything else.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

I've read several Outtlander 800 owners say an aftermarket skid plate is an absolute must not just good add on. You couldn't just slide over stuff with the bottom of any unprotected frame, there has to bee some sort of skid plate...for as much money as the 800 is and for as big as it is, there definitely should be a standard heavy duty skid plate included from the factory.

67Catrider, You can't say the 800 is just a 400 with a bigger engine, The 800 has EFI, different electrical setup with the speedometer, and several other things that are still being tested and so far the electrical part seems to be a little screwed up.

Quick Reply: Outy 800XT or 06 Rincon 680