CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bare Bones Racing (WOW)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bare Bones Racing (WOW)

I stumbled across thier website last night,and These guys specialize in Single Cylinder Rotax engines for RACE apprications. They Are into road racing these rotax singles ,and some of thier accomplishments are very impressive, but not nearly as impressive as thier Motors,and motor work!!

I emailed them last night asking if they ever have done any work on the Rotax 650 found in the BMW motorcycle and OUR beloved DS. This morning I had a response waiting on me when I got to work.
They have not done any work to this particular motor ,but he did mention that the motors they use are no longer being produced, and may be interested in the Rotax 650 for racing themselves.

He also said If I had an extra DS head laying around that he would be intersted in seeing what kind of potential it had at no charge to me, just shipping.(pretty cool) Anyways, These guys look like another great resource to have,and they have some pretty trick parts. Check out their website,and send them an e-mail showing interest, would be great to have another great biulder on our side.

Bigger.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Very interesting....

I think that if something isn't done soon, the mighty Rotax will be in the back of the pack (If it's not already). Problem as I see it, is that the our engines are getting long in the tooth. The technology is just too old to compete. The new OutLander twin, and obviously the Kawasaki twin just have so much more potential. I'm waitng for the Sport Bike with a twin from Bombardier. It may never happen, so Bigger's find could be very important.

So far HPR, TVI, PAMI and RWR have been able to get us where we are today, but I'm not sure how much more we're going to be able to get.

For example...

HPR's top dog (800) will definitely get you movin. Let's say it puts out 85HP with all the bells and wistles. That might cost you close to 8G's to get done taking a bike all the way from stock. Obviously I have NO idea what it would really cost, but I'm sure it's not cheap. Now take Kawi's v-twin and send it to Canada (Fundy). for just under 4K, you'll get a at least 85 ponies and that's not even his top dog. I know that there is a 100+ version Fundy motor out there that isn't that expensive comparitively. It's not so much that Fundy is the best ever, it's just that he has more to work with.

I am thankful for my HPR motor, and I'm glad it's been ROCK SOLID. Just wish that Bomb would come to the table with something else for the sport market.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Road racing is very very competitive,and I believe to have accomplished as much as they have they are doing things different( ie the down draft intake ports). I'm not expecting them to make the same motors MAJICALLY make 10-15 more HP. But in thier line of racing they may have some "tricks" like cam profiles, porting techniques and piston design that we have not seen yet. and you never know what kind or resources they may have aswell.

Anyway , I thought is was cool to find them out thier.

Bigger.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:46 PM
amd
Pro Rider

Thats a good find Bigger. Yeah they might have some good knowledge on cam profiles and head work and it is good that they would take a look a a ds head. I dont feel the technology is becoming outdated on the rotax 650 I do think they could give them little more power since the new quads are stepping it up a little, But the rotax650 is proven to be reliable and make good power when you start messing with it. I mean how many other quad motors can you put a bunch of n20 to them or a little bit of boost and it stay together. Look at scoobys' bike, Yeah he has had his share of problems with cranks and such, but damn he runs that thing at 25+ lbs of boost! and it is a pretty much a stock motor. Try doing that with ANY other quad motor!!!I believe that the rotax 650 motors are the best quad 4 stroke motors to make big power with good reliability. And if there are knowledgable people out there that know how to make some power then keep em comin!.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think that I have a problem with reliability at all..... And I do think that HPR and others are getting just about all of the power out of the monster. Reliable sure, but I think that the ceiling is going to be fairly quickly.
Obviously just my opinion, but there WILL be guys getting 100ponies on good fuel out of the outy motor. Watch and see. That just isn't going to happen with the 650. Obviously there is 150 less CC's to work with, but the newer motors just have more potential. One look at the outy 800 or the Vforce, the technology comes shining through.

my .02

Old 12-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hmmm

Someone I know may have a spare stock head in his garage [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Wouldn't mind someone trying some grinding on it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

With enough R&D the 650 rotax with upgrades will get into the 120hp range with no adders it just takes time and money!!! now add the future turbo and nos and ya got a monster that will race week after week unlike the new lightweight rebuild every weekend 450s. Spend your money now or later imo

The 2cyl bikes will be put in a different class at the drags like whats happening in April, at the hill is a different story!!

Old 12-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Bomber, you REALLY think that the 650 will produce 120 without sqeezing???? Not to be a nay-sayer, but I'll believe it when I see it. I just don't think that the capability is there. I know that 85 is possible when you're working with the 800's, but even those seem to be realatively thin at this point.

I'd be the first guy to say - yea for the Rotax at 120. Just don't think it's possible.

guess we'll see.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:11 PM
amd
Pro Rider

I believe it is possible. yeah it will probably take an 830 or so to do it but it will make that power and stay together like bomber said. I can see a 170+ hp rotax 650 motor with a power adder very soon!!!!.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: amd
I believe it is possible. yeah it will probably take an 830 or so to do it but it will make that power and stay together like bomber said. I can see a 170+ hp rotax 650 motor with a power adder very soon!!!!.
amd your right, we could see a 170hp DS. But with out a lock up clutch that 170hp DS won't get to the finish line first. It might if it does not have to make back to back passes or up a hill. IMO it's not the HP but getting it to the ground on the DS.

Quick Reply: Bare Bones Racing (WOW)