CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Splitting the case

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splitting the case

Note to self... when removing cylinder and head, remove at least one spark plug! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

I am doing the shift fork replacement myself. I got the engine out and set up the shop in the dining room as I said. Got the valve cover off and noticed the end of the cam shaft that doesn't have a sprocket on it, has rust on it. WTF?
So I take the cams out and the carrier. Then I go to remove the nuts off the LONG bolts that the jug and goes on. They are spec'd at 44 ft. pds But I'll be darned if I could break them loose with a breaker bar without my friend holding the engine. And it was hard even then! I thought for sure the bolts would snap. I know they flexed.
I got them off, though. Then I pulled and pulled till I was blue and purple. That cylider was not coming off without a fight. My friend noticed the plugs were in. That sure helped .
So that is where I am at now.
This is scary

Old 01-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

http://www.ljsoftware.com/DS/DS650Main.html
Go to this site under DO IT YOURSELF GUIDE It should help you on the tranny.
Hope this is some help.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. I was hoping I could find that site again. Hightower also sent another site that is linked to that tranny page. I got new computer guts and lost all my bookmarks.
I want to say, my dealer and his mechanic are so darned nice. He loaned me the mag puller, clutch basket holder, and ring compressor.
I am ready to remove the clutch and magneto, but need to go buy an impact gun. I geuss Sears would be the place to get one.
Anybody have any thoughts on the rust and what I should do about it?

Old 01-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

I got the clutch basket off and the nut for the doublr drive gear. I cannot get the gear to budge. There is a little woodruff key holding it in place. Any ideas to removing this?

Old 01-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

nevermind, I got it off. It just needed a little coaxing.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

Its no wonder the DS constantely wins the long races... you can't get em apart even if you wanted to.

Good luck ... man the first time you fire them up after a rebuild is one of the best feelings in the world .... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Man I am jelous ... Good luck!

Old 01-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

keep going slow....

By all means, DON'T split the case with a hammer and a screw driver.... BADDDDDDDD

Take your time and keep asking questions.

You're on the right track.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

When I popped the mag off, the things under it came off with it. Then the giant gear with the brass looking inner came off. Is this right?
I am ready to seperate now I think?

Old 01-19-2006, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Make one more check for remaining centercase screws

Old 01-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

I think I am obsessing. I ditched work early today and raced home to get this thing apart. I am resigned to the fact I will not be racing this machine, Saturday, as I'd hoped. The parts did not make it in today(Thursday) and I want to take biggerisbetter advice and have the gears cut and treated before putting it back together. If only he would tell me where he sends his [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
WOW! I feel like my cherry has been popped! I got the case open just now. A washer fell out of nowhere, but I found where it goes.
This is a thing of beauty. It is so perfectly matched and fluid. I am going to just look at it for a while.

Quick Reply: Splitting the case