CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Cam failure, major bummer

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam failure, major bummer

Looking into it, got any ideas?

Old 01-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you have the short skirt 730 like mine that required no case mods, you will have to sell the 730 kit or trade it in as a core. I think they do that.

After watching Hard1's DS run, I am thinking about selling my whole 730 motor and taking a stock motor as a core. That would allow HPR to start from scratch and I might get something out of my 730 to cut my losses.

I don't know if it will work or not. I won't try until next winter though. I need to get a riding season in.

Ron

Old 01-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]........... i want a 730!!!!!! hold on. i dont have any money. i'll trade my motor for yours.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

There comes a point where you sacrifice reliability for power/speed. The same issue plagues guys that ride Harley Davidson's. They keep changing cams and pistons, going to bigger bores and so on and then can't understand why the reliability goes down the toilet.....

Old 01-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

scatter i dont know what there talking about when they say skirt but if your in need of a core cylinder or whatever there talking about shoot me a pm i already sound stupid enough asking what it is.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

On my HPR cams, I don't even have a decompression lever [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No one is stupid around here![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

The skirt I was referring to is the part of the cylinder that recesses into the case. The standard 730 kit comes with a short skirt that drops right in. The 105.5mm jug for the stroker motor needs a longer skirt because the additional stroke is at the bottom of the piston travel. I believe the longer skirt requires some machining of the case for the jug to seat all the way down.

Ron[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

i did not put the decompression lever on my hpr3 cams. i was told you do not need i have no trouble starting the beast.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A buddy had a valve spring failure resulting in a dropped valve resulting in the cam on the intake??? breaking at the sprocket (PM me, you guys should hook up to make a set of cams out of your cams that each of you have one good one of.)

The good news is he split the cases and the bottom end looked good.

I'ld think real hard before you go and stoke the engine. That's a lot of extra money and if you don't need the power a lot of money to be spent on a few extra ponies that won't help you out that much.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

i'm glad to see someone else is having as much fun as me. mine did the same thing two weekends ago but my failure was from not clicking into fourth all the way with the bottle on and the motor went screaming into rpms the cam didn't want to go and broke off the end of the cam and lodged that in between the head and cam lobe and broke the cam in half right behind the spoket and broke off the decompression lever too i found most of the missing cam parts ontop of the head but the rest where laying behind the clutch good luck finding all the pieces

Quick Reply: Cam failure, major bummer