CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Cam failure, major bummer

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam failure, major bummer

Mind reading going on LOL

Old 01-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

I really feel for ya!! I just got done putting together my 2nd engine in 4 months!!!! 2 fried cranks!! different bikes..!! Some guys have all the luck?? Your not alone!!

Bud

Old 01-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Scatter,

Dean just called, the axle with the hubs, sprocket and brake disc weighed in just a hair under 13 lbs. It would be lighter but mine is 1" wider than stock for duning purposes. If it was a 24" axle like a lot of thes aluminum ones, it might be down around 11 lbs. If you want one for racing the aluminum one is probably better, if you need it to be wide so you can dune aggressively, this might be the setup. They are still in R&D and have the major bugs worked out but they still aren't pushing these things until they know they have them right. I'm just willing to take the risk.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
Scatter,

Dean just called, the axle with the hubs, sprocket and brake disc weighed in just a hair under 13 lbs. It would be lighter but mine is 1" wider than stock for duning purposes. If it was a 24" axle like a lot of thes aluminum ones, it might be down around 11 lbs. If you want one for racing the aluminum one is probably better, if you need it to be wide so you can dune aggressively, this might be the setup. They are still in R&D and have the major bugs worked out but they still aren't pushing these things until they know they have them right. I'm just willing to take the risk.
I could really test that setup out for you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

3rd weekend in Feb you will.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Well you got us figured out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this Scatter. If anything, lighten the crank and back cut them gears while your in there. Hope all works out well for ya.

And by the way, I know were you could pick up some ponies while spraying. I'll give you a clue: You broke one! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Which cams do you recommend for NOS?

Old 01-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry it took me a while to reply. I called KMS and he wants the head back. Where it broke doesnt make sense, He thinks that maybe Web will warranty the cam. I will have the motor out this weekend and send the lower end off to CG performance to split the cases and clean everything up and check it out to make sure everything is groovy. I was considering having a stroker put in while it was apart and replace the jug and go to an 800. Its a considerable cost to do that to this bike when Im going to be building a full on drag bike this year. I think what Im going to do is put it back together as it was and install an axle kit and change the cams. Which brings up the question that was hotley discuss in another thread. If I go to the HPR4 Nitrous cams am I going to have to get the head re-ported to match the cams. I have 1mm oversize valves so am I going to have to change them too? Man I hate startin from scratch. Lightening the crank sound like a good idea so does back cutting the tranny anyone know about what that would cost?

Hey Jed, are you still running the stock size valves with the HPR5 cams, just curious.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
A buddy had a valve spring failure resulting in a dropped valve resulting in the cam on the intake??? breaking at the sprocket (PM me, you guys should hook up to make a set of cams out of your cams that each of you have one good one of.)

The good news is he split the cases and the bottom end looked good.

I'ld think real hard before you go and stoke the engine. That's a lot of extra money and if you don't need the power a lot of money to be spent on a few extra ponies that won't help you out that much.
If someone needs a cam, I have one that I'll donate.

I don't know which one it is, I gave the other one to the Punisher.

Quick Reply: Cam failure, major bummer