CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Cam failure, major bummer

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam failure, major bummer

Well I figured out what happen. It seems as though the decompression lever busted off and lodged between the head and the cam lobe, in turn completely shattering the front of the cam, ( the flange with the pins in it that holds the cam sprocket.) I found about six piece on top the head but I know there alot more down the motor. Looks like Im pulling the motor and splitting the cases. I think the pin that holds the decompression lever came out. Its a mess. Anyone know why this would happen or just some bad luck. I just got the carb fixed up and she was runnin the best it ever had........figures[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Ouch, that ends up being worse then what we had thought. Man that just sucks....

Old 01-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

That really sucks.
Hope it did not do much damage down low.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that man that really sucks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well now you have an excuse for those new cams [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Oh, BTW I don't want the old ones anymore.....I will back out of that race [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Any idea what would cause this?

Old 01-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Tell your Old Man that I will make him a screamin deal on these babies.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

It's hard to imagine that pin coming out. That buger is really hard to install and remove for that matter. Unless when you installed it. It took little or no hammering to install it. I don't see shim under in your sig. Are you sure a shim didn't start the destruction. If it was the pin backing out. Then yours is the first I've herd of on this forum.
Don't forget to take the oil pumps apart and clean and inspect them also.
Good luck

Old 01-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

I didnt install them. I have shim unders. you can see where it broke off. It lodged between the head and the lobe. Just may be right because I cant get the cap off the valve spring either. Maybe more bad news. One good thing is after she broke she didnt start so hopefully no more damage down low. I will remember the oil pump, thanks

Old 01-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think I would be inclined to install a stroker crank and backcut the tranny if the case has to be split. Do you have the long skirt or short skirt 730?

If I have to spend the money, I like to make it an asset to me rather than spend just to restore it to it's former self.

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I had a terrible time getting that pin out when I changed cams. That sucker was stuck.

Ron

Quick Reply: Cam failure, major bummer