CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

information on the HPR top gun pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default information on the HPR top gun pipe?

I did a search and found very little about the top gun pipe and since it has been out a while i would think that someone has been using one?I am interested in one but i would like to know what kind of decibel levels it puts out.I think with the disc system and a minimum number of discs that it could still produce good low end and midrange while keeping the sound levels reasonable.Any opinions or experiences?

Old 01-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am running one. I love it. After I replaced my Yosh with the Topgun, I had to richen up the metering rod and open up my powerjet just a bit more. That tells me I am making more power with it across the board. It is just as loud as my Yosh was when you are standing right next to it (I have all 12 discs in) but as soon as you walk a little ways away, it gets much quieter than the open exhausts. I guess it just disperses the sound waves better.

It looks fantastic. It is a bit expensive for a slip on though. After I bought the pipe for $250, I paid an additional $75 for Stanless steel then another $75 for the 12 disc end cap. After shipping I was about $420.

I thought it was worth it though. It is a rarity, people are always curious about it and it is a custom works pipe that posts the highest numbers second only to the ugly stick.

Ron

Old 01-27-2006, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

DSNUT-Thanks for the response.So you ride the dunes here in Oregon with the top gun and you havent been stopped for a sound check yet?I am so tempted to just run whatever pipe i want and just live with getting the occasional ticket but that could get expensive.I am wanting to get more performance out of my Baja without getting too crazy with the cost and the Top Gun with a carb and intake should do the trick but i sure dont want to spend 400.00 on a slip on and then get a 150.00 ticket ,that could get expensive.It gets pretty frustrating trying to comply with the sound laws while still gaining performance but it will probably only get worse so i guess i had better get used to it.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

I got the pipe and I love it and DSNUT is right it's sounds real good when your'e on it riding but soon as you get away from it it's not loud at all. Actually it's not loud enough for me, thats why i'm going to take the discs out unless i need to be quiet.

I went a different route then DSNUT did i got the bare metal slip on and sent it along with my header to jet-hot so they matched and it was only $120 with a rush on it.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

dabomb,

Are you the guy with the +4 Ace swinger?

Ron

Old 01-27-2006, 02:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Duneit,

We should meet up and ride sometime. I have had the cops ride right past me and not pay one spec of attention to me. I never got a ticket with my Yosh either.

Ron

Old 01-28-2006, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

DSNUT-I will be working on the quads this weekend getting them ready for this years riding season and once i do i will pm you about a ride.I have a 690 raptor that i use mostly for drag racing that has a few bugs to work out but nothing serious.I will probably be ordering a top gun pipe/lectron46hv/intake for my baja soon and i am looking forward to getting that set up dialed in.Me and the wife usually ride at florence so when i do go that is probably where we will prefer to ride.Do you ever ride at florence and if so do you remember racing against a silver raptor with eyeball headlight covers ,if so that was me.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I usually ride at Florence also. I will be at Honeyman next weekend and I will be there the whole week of spring break with a few day trips scheduled in there somewhere.

I don't remember seeing that Raptor out there. There is a black raptor out there from time to time that that is unbelievably fast. If you have ever seen him run, you will know who I mean. My DS won't pull with him.

Anyway, PM me. I look forward to meeting you.

Ron

Old 01-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

DSNUT-I know which black raptor you are talking about and i have raced him many times and i always get beat.In a 300 foot race at comp hill i am 2 or 3 lengths behind him and with me being about 50 lbs heavier than the rider of that black raptor i am pretty pleased with that.I have talked a few times with the owner of that raptor and he has every available go fast part that you can imagine and i dont feel the need to spend quite that much as i have other hobbies as well as quad riding.My raptor is at its best from about 300 feet and beyond so i do much better on the south jetty hill at florence just in front of the top parking area.