CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

how can i lighten my axle ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can i lighten my axle ?

ok someone please help this old guy out and tell me can it be done by gun drilling it? If so what size of hole to get drilled, and how is it someone gets a stock axle down to 10lbs? I have herd of some getting them down this low on weight

Old 02-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

i too am interested in this and i would like to know how much strength are you going to sacrifice by doing this??

Old 02-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't think I would bother with the stock axle. You have too many heavy parts to deal with that are unnecessary like over built hubs, sprocket mount, rotor mount, 530 chain and 530 sprockets, 10" wheels with heavy tires. The axle is right at the rotating axis which means lightening it will effect dead weight probably more than it will reduce rotational mass. The other items I listed will transmit more RW torque from the crank to the tires per ounce lost than than will the axle. Lightening the axle to 10 lbs, however will probably lower your dead weight more than all of these other items combined. If you just want to race with minimal duning, I would go to On Dunes and look at the aluminum axle with 520 chain conversion (weight reduced approx 30 lbs. If you want to go almost as light but have to have the axle strength to maintain stock width for duning and jumping, call Dave Moore about chromolly axles. I have one and the bugs seem to be worked out. It removed about 22 to 24 lbs and made a noticable difference.

I recommend On Dunes first because I believe their axle fits in stock carrier which allows you to save the cost of a carrier and aftermarket swingarm. The Dave Moore setup requires these parts which add to the cost significantly. Don't quote me but I believe I paid about $1300 for axle, hubs, 520 conversion, +6 swingarm, carrier, misc hardware and installation. I think On Dunes was speculated to be a few hundred less than that........ but we should know tomorrow!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Ron

Old 02-12-2006, 06:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

so if i cut the axle on both sides of the carrier(past where the sprocket and brake hub are)and gun drill the meaty part inside where it fits in the carrier and reweld do you think it would hold up just for drag racing? but taper the ends that i cut off to make them fit in the hole i gun drilled kinda like a shoulder to fit back in then reweld

Old 02-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 55years
so if i cut the axle on both sides of the carrier(past where the sprocket and brake hub are)and gun drill the meaty part inside where it fits in the carrier and reweld do you think it would hold up just for drag racing? but taper the ends that i cut off to make them fit in the hole i gun drilled kinda like a shoulder to fit back in then reweld
If that's what you want, contact BigBaja.

His has been shortened and gun drilled.

It also has the aluminum sprocket hub.

I beleive he's still tripping over it in his garage.

And I've been tripping over lightened hubs.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

well i do have my hubs lighten and redrilled for yamaha bolt patern and had the brake hub lighten and also the stock sprocket hub took a little meat off there to now i was just wodering on the axle seeing if you all think it would work or not

Old 02-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

55 years,

How much do you expect to gain from this plan? How many pounds? I would not touch your axle with a drill until you know that the gains will be worth the sacrifices.

Also, are you serious about cutting and rewelding your axle?! Is this to shorten it to further reduce weight?

Ron

Old 02-13-2006, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer

well im hoping it would get its weight down to what bigbaja had his at, and yes to cut it and shorten it to help on the weight losssay to about 26' or so

Old 02-14-2006, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

It can save some significant weight, but it's dicey. Definitely drag race only, and then it's questionable. If you can't do it yourself, there's a huge liability for anyone else to do it. There are many who know more than I do about tempering steel when you weld on it.
Eric has a 200x I raced one night, and never again- he got real bored one winter many years ago - he drilled holes in everything a drill bit would fit in.
He wouldn't even make me a chopped and drilled axle for mine (he was afraid it would get me killed on a 1/2 mile oval). Turns out, he almost killed me anyway with his axle on his DS when it broke on the dyno and chased me all over the shop!