CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Too O-Ring or not to O-ring. That is the Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too O-Ring or not to O-ring. That is the Question.

Keith, less drag on a non o-ring chain for drag racing.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sandbomber
Keith, less drag on a non o-ring chain for drag racing.
I figured you would say that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am running a Yamaha steel 40 tooth 520 sprocket. I am running a RWR 520 pitch 17 tooth front. I am running an X-ring chain. It won't last as long as an O-ring I guess but it does have some of the maintenence advantages that an o-ring has.

I am a bit worried about the tensil strength though. I don't know what it is and I don't currently have a case saver with my 17 tooth sprocket. Those are problems I have to solve in the next couple of weeks.

Ron

Old 03-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Range Rover

Back to the thread topic: I've never seen a fast banshee (stoker, drag frame, etc..) run a O-ring chain. A non-o-ring chain weights about 1/3rd of a equal strength o-ring chain, due to the pins needing to be much longer on the o-ring chain. Its a proven fact that non-o-ring chains when clean has much less friction than o-ring or x-ring. For you DS owners who are converting to 520, you are doing yourself a huge rotational mass favor, but I believe that a non-o-ring chain when maintained properly will give you that little extra "edge". It comes down to what you want: less maintence, longer life, or little extra attention to cleaning and less rotational mass and friction.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: yfzfryguy
Back to the thread topic: I've never seen a fast banshee (stoker, drag frame, etc..) run a O-ring chain. A non-o-ring chain weights about 1/3rd of a equal strength o-ring chain, due to the pins needing to be much longer on the o-ring chain. Its a proven fact that non-o-ring chains when clean has much less friction than o-ring or x-ring. For you DS owners who are converting to 520, you are doing yourself a huge rotational mass favor, but I believe that a non-o-ring chain when maintained properly will give you that little extra "edge". It comes down to what you want: less maintence, longer life, or little extra attention to cleaning and less rotational mass and friction.
Going to the 520 is an absolute must for me, but from the way it sounds unless you are looking for maybe 1 more pony then no big deal? If the difference between an o-ring, and no o-ring is like 3-4 ponies to the wheel then sign me up. And we are talking 520 o-ring to 520 no o-ring.

So to O-ring or not to O-ring, sounds like for me I am going with the not to. Scatter, what about you???

Old 03-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Non o-ring, final answer.

I got my axle installed looks awsome! Chain and sprockets are on the way. Now if I just had a head I would be in business.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

"I am running a Yamaha steel 40 tooth 520 sprocket. I am running a RWR 520 pitch 17 tooth front. I am running an X-ring chain. It won't last as long as an O-ring I guess but it does have some of the maintenence advantages that an o-ring has.

I am a bit worried about the tensil strength though. I don't know what it is and I don't currently have a case saver with my 17 tooth sprocket. Those are problems I have to solve in the next couple of weeks.

Ron"

From what I've 'read', the x ring wears longer than oring or non ring and are the preference for street racing anyway. Less friction than oring and greater lube (2 surface seals). The xring lube factor must overcome friction advantages over the nonoring. That explains why HPR liked the nonoring chain for drag racing mainly. I would put it into a cost equation. Will the possible income from the marginal performance difference pay for the additional labor/parts/downtime?