Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Just picked up a Rubicon, some Questions for fellow owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 04:17 AM
JRM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up my red rubi today, paid $6,299 out the door at St. johns Honda in Portland Oregon. Today I logged 7 gentle miles and 1.2 hours on it. To me D2 seems faster as it runs at a lower RPM, but I have not floored it yet. Some questions as after I have gone over it with a fine tooth comb: My battery does not have a plastic cover over it, just a strap- is this normal? The red Plastic around the lower headlights is untrimmed and has paper thin red plastic overlapping the black trim and the cylinder has been scratched by a grinder or something near the cylinder bolts directly behind the oil fill. Also, the junction of the seat and gas tank on the right side is a tad loose. This leads me to my last and biggest question, Does the large oil fill cap have an O-ring? My rubi is leaking 4-5 table spoons of oil every time I bring it back into the garage with the skid plate dripping and I have traced it to the oil fill cap witch does not have a rubber O-ring. MY plastic also has swerl marks in it, did the dealer use a to harsh of a towell or something?

Old 02-28-2001, 09:02 AM
Range Rover

I have heard of the o-ring being gone, just take it and get one at the dealer under warranty. while you're there just ask them about the other things.

Old 02-28-2001, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

It's funny that you should mention the scratch on the motor that looks like it would be from a grinder,because my '01 Recon has that same mark.I thought it was from riding,but when I looked at my friends Recon,it had the same scratch.No worry.

Old 02-28-2001, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new purchase.

What do you mean on the battery cover. There is a rubber strap that keeps hid held down, but there is a plastic body piece that keeps you from seing it while riding. Part 80311-HN2-000ZA for green and 80311-HN2-000ZB for red.

The red plastic by the headlights sounds like it was screwed up at the factory. I would ask for replacement plastic.

I dont recall seeing any grinding on my cylinder.

At the top of the seat there should be a body brad at each corner of the gas tank plastic just under the seat. Are those there?

Yes the oil fil cap does have an o-ring and it is part number 91307-MK5-000. You should have NO oil leaks

The plastic shuold have NO swirl marks in it.

I dont mean to put a negative spin on this but the fact that you paid "$6,299 out the door" for this and you have all these problems does not add up. Either this quad is used or the dealer is doing something funny. I personally owuld contact Honda directly about this.

Old 02-28-2001, 10:57 AM
Range Rover

You will see all kinds of scratches and little cracks in the engine and diferentials that is because of the way they are cast.
As for you plastic get over it red has to be the worst color for scratches after you ride 5-6 times it will be scratched to hell so dont worry but i would make them repair any oil leak immeadatly, just remember Its a Honda, darn near indestuctable Check the Oil, clean the air filter
tow a couple polaris's back to camp and ride the crap out of it..

2000 450S
2001 Rancher 4x4
2001 250EX

Old 02-28-2001, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

I have that grinding mark there.

Old 02-28-2001, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

Got my Red Ruby Friday night , now have 26 miles and have valve clatter when I stop real suddenly. Going to check oil level (which is kind of a pain) and think maybe the idots at the dealership under filled it . Also have a mark on engine (casting mark). My plastic was not scratched and also plastic around headlights look fine. I think my quad seems to have more power in D1 than D2. Overall I'm impressed but I'll check my valve clatter problem and let everyone know. Happy trails!!!!

Old 02-28-2001, 06:27 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply's, I called the dealer and they put the O-ring on a 2 day order so that's good to know. I found the seat problem, there was some welding splatter on the frame tube and it wore the plastic rest on one side causing some slop in the seat. I used a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer to knock the splatter off but I may have to talk to the dealer about the worn seat rest. Mine has both brads in the plastic too. I used a razor blade to trim the plastic near the headlights, looks factory finish now Yes, mine has the red cover over the battery, I was just wondering if there was another black one over the batt alone-guess not. I also have herd the valve clatter but only right after startup on a hot engine, but its nothing compared to my XR's. The only new thing I have spotted is rusty water draining from the open frame tubes above the axle.. any way to plug them?