CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oil????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil????

Ok guys. What oil do ya'll run. Needing to change my oil and was trying to decide on which oil would be best. BRP says to use non synthetic, but who all listens to manufacturers. So if you guys could throw me some ideas i'd appreciate it Thx guys.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Oil????

I've been running Honda GN-4, the local dealer here says if your going to run synthetic ,only use BRP oil.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:29 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default Oil????

All three of mine had Honda GN 4 since the day I owned them. My manuals say no Synthetic so I'm sticking with that information. Supposed to be bad for the clutch. I'm not a racer though, we'll see what the Big Dogs have to say.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Oil????

I have always run valvoline atv in my 03. It is designed for wet clutches so it wont slip like some will. The 730 uses klotz which is VERY Spendy but you cant beat the fact it looks like tranny fluid and smells like a mix of race gas and doughnuts when the machine runs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2006, 06:32 AM
Range Rover
Default Oil????

Ok first of all the dealer is going to say to only run the Bombardier synthetic because it makes them money....they are selling a Bombardier product. I ONLY use synthetic oil in EVERYTHING that I own. Some people have different opinions on synthetics, but I see the test results and viscosity breakdowns for myself. I run the Mobil 1 MX4T. It is a synthetic oil that is made for motorcycle v-twin engines. Now, I have used the Bombardier oil and that is fine too. The Honda GN-4 is fine too, I've used that..........I've probably used every time of synthetic oil out there. Honestly, I think the Bombardier oil is awesome, but my dealer is pretty far away so I don't always use it. I just need to buy a case of it next time I'm there.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default Oil????

Look for something designed for a wet clutch... otherwise you will burn up your clutch quick. I've been running the Honda GN-4 for three years now and have had zero problem... except spilling it everywhere when I change the oil. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil????

Personally I run the Bomb oil. These guys can give you the best provin choices for you to try. Good Luck and ride hard. =]

just my .02¢

Old 03-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oil????

I tried syn back years ago and my clutches would slip. One guy said it was the molly in it. I dont think its in most of the syn now. I use Kawasaki 10/40 and it works great. Ive had 4 650s and ive been inside them all at one time or another and no problems. I change my oil often and so price does matter to me. Ive used the Honda, Royal purple for quads and Bomb oil. They are all good oil. I can buy the Kawy from my dealer from a drum and its cheaper that way. I always felt that the most important thing is to check the oila nd change it regularly

Old 03-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oil????

Thanks on the input guys. Price is a little bit of a matter for me. And another question for you guys. How often do ya'll change it? I've heard from every 10 hours to every other ride. What's the lowdown. I'm fairly new to riding atv's so I don't really ride the hell out of it yet. Put usually 2-4 hours ride time whenever i get to ride. I've really appreciated all your guys input.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oil????

I change about every other ride but it depends on the ride. I just usually check the oil to see how it looks. If its clear and looks clean I wait.